Friday, April 18, 2008

Nice Try, Hil

So I get home from work last night and check our answering machine, and here the Clinton campaign left a message telling me to vote for Hillary this Tuesday in the PA primary because Barack Obama voted for the 2005 Energy Bill.

As HuffPo’s David Roberts tells us here, that was objectionable, but…

The headline of the press release makes it crystal clear why Obama (and fellow Ill. Sen. Dick Durbin) voted the way they did -- ethanol subsidies and "clean coal" research money (recall that as of Dec., the feds' $1.8b FutureGen boondoggle will sited in Ill.).
The post by Roberts notes that even though this was a stumble, Obama has “green cred” and a realistic plan for what’s needed and what’s achievable on the issue of climate change (no one can truly know what any of these people would do as President, but that’s a good sign).

Also, Hillary Clinton did not oppose the fraud 2005 Bankruptcy Bill (Obama voted against it), and that makes a bigger difference to me than Obama’s support for the energy bill.

One more thing...the Obama campaign actually sent a DVD to our house containing an eight-minute production telling us about him and some of what he wants to do as president (believe me when I tell you were are not big party donors; not sure if we did anything to deserve it). It’s pretty slick, to tell you the truth.

Also, as long as I’m discussing Obama, I just want to link to Paul Krugman here who talks about the same thing everyone else has discussed, but he has some original thoughts that, as usual, he can support with evidence. In particular, he takes Obama to task for conflating Dubya and Clinton on the economy, something I confess that I should have thought of myself earlier.

No comments: