Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ignoring A Picket Line Isn’t Funny

I know I promised I wouldn’t say anything about the WGA strike, but I wanted to take a minute and applaud cartoonists Ted Rall and Matt Bors for showing their disagreement with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s decisions to host their programs while the writers continue their walkout (as noted here).

And while I’m at it, I have to express a similar attitude towards Bill Maher, who expressed his “love” for “my guys” during the “Real Time” premiere the other night, but managed to work in a dig anyway, saying that the “all or nothing” attitude by the WGA leaders on the strike is about the same mentality that led us into the Iraq war (want some apples with your oranges, Bill?).

Also, I’m curious to see if his “Blogga, Please” segment remains when the strike finally ends; in it, Maher took some excerpts from sites and submitted them for response by guests Mark Cuban, Catherine Crier, Tony Snow, and Matt Taibbi. I suppose I should give Maher credit for that even if the excerpts weren’t particularly interesting or thought provoking; I guess he was desperate for filler material more than anything else.

Still, I can’t help but wonder why Maher chose to go ahead with the show while the writers are still out. To say that the quality of the program fell off a bit is an understatement.

No comments: