Thursday, October 25, 2007

You Want It? Pay For It!

I am adamantly opposed to any notion whatsoever of trying to reinstate the draft because George W. Bush has decimated our military to the point where new recruits are so desperately needed.

However, I do support a war tax such as the one proposed here a few weeks ago by House Democrats David Obey, Jack Murtha, and Jim McGovern.

I didn’t say this previously perhaps when I should have, but I was reminded to do so by this New York Times editorial today which restates Bushco’s catastrophic fiscal priorities. And at this point, I’m tiring of the pathetic whining of this “president” about spending when he continues to sink untold dollars into the black hole that was once the country known as Iraq.

And I am equally tired of the placid acceptance by too many people in this country of the horrific status quo; as nearly as I can determine, it really is true that the war at this point has turned into background noise for anyone not immediately affected by it or willing to protest it in any manner (are you reading this, Flyers fans who continue to give your money to Ed Snider, and you Sixers fans as well – actually, this really goes out to anyone who attends an event at either the Wachovia Center or the Wachovia Spectrum).

So, then, it’s time to ante up.

And how typical for Nancy The Nag and Sellout Steny to bail on Obey, Murtha and McGovern over their proposal. Advocating something like this would have the effect of getting the attention of the people who ingest Dubya’s pabulum with drone-like compliance. Nothing like making people part with what they hold most dear in the name of what they believe in as far as I’m concerned.

And actually, that leads me into the following poll conducted by the Presidential Prayer Team about whether or not you believe the Iraq war has become too costly in terms of the lives of our service people or for financial reasons. Here are the depressing results (I guess I stumbled onto the heart of Bushco Zombie land)…


So once again, I say it’s time to ante up.

And the freepers will cry, “Oh, there go those tax-and-spend Democrats again, slowing down the wonderful, robust engine of our economy.”

Gee, I don’t see it as so bloody wonderful from my end based on this (and I know some of this information goes back about four years, but it describes a pattern that hasn’t changed throughout this nightmare of a presidency).

And I have a news flash for our Democratic congressional “leadership” (I’ll probably be repeating this as long as I can draw a breath); the freepers are going to attack you regardless of what you do, so stand up and show some guts, OK?

Also, this tells us what the war costs us at this moment without the surtax proposed by Obey, Murtha and McGovern (the Kos blogger DHinMI includes Afghanistan also; might be a good idea to figure out what our objectives are there at this point also).

Lastly, here is a reminder of what we can do about the war on Saturday.

No comments: