Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Notable Milestone

I really would be remiss if I failed to note the 70th birthday of Bill Cosby today.

I’ll be honest with you; I was never the biggest fan of the T.V. show, but I thought it did have some enjoyable moments. Mainly, I think his stand-up comedy has frequently been hilarious, though not so much lately. He has also been successful at turning himself into a one-man industry, primarily on behalf of advocating for families and what I guess you would call individual self-empowerment.

Yes, he’s been pretty obnoxious at hawking all kinds of products (if I had his fame and notoriety, though, I’d probably do the same thing), and some of his movies have been certifiable clunkers (though the young one enjoyed “Fat Albert,” and it is entertaining if you suspend belief more than a little bit). I think his hay day was in the ‘60s with “I Spy,” the first TV show, and some of his earlier movies; that period also yielded his best comedy as far as I’m concerned.

And oh yes, he’s given probably more than anyone can imagine to many causes, most notably my alma mater (and his).

So Happy Birthday, ‘Cos. Keep doing your thing for better or worse; for me, it’s made the world a better place.

(By the way, posting is a question mark for tomorrow – we’ll see.)

No comments: