Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Make Him Leave

I’m going to try and get something started; it may quickly flame out, it may move forward but then dissipate, or it may actually accomplish something. I don’t know, but I’m willing to give it a shot.

After reading this post from mcjoan at The Daily Kos, I can flatly state that I want Joe Lieberman out of the Democratic Party now more than ever before.

Are you as fed up with his pontifical whining about how the Iraq debacle is really some great cause but the rest of this country is screwed up because we see it for what it is (“hostage crisis” is a perfectly apt way to put it, as mcjoan did)? Are you sick of the sanctimony and obstruction from this cretin? To say nothing of his attack on a man like Harry Reid who has done everything he can do to be felicitous to this scumwaffle?

Good. I am also.

That is why I’m going to contact Senate Majority Leader Reid of Nevada from here and tell him that I want him to remove Lieberman from his assignments on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Armed Services, Environment/Public Works, and Small Business committees. If this were to occur, there is no way Lieberman would remain with the Democrats and officially “jump ship” to the Repugs instead, having suffered such an incalculable loss of pride (I think someone came up with this idea earlier when the Dems took over the Senate, but I want to get it started again).

Yes, I know the probability of success is virtually nil here. But other causes have faced longer odds and they have been accomplished (I can’t think of one at the moment, but in my own personal umbrage, I’m sure this is true – kind of in a John-Belushi-was-it-over-when-the-Germans-bombed-Pearl-Harbor mode a bit here).

And yes, I also know the Senate would be 50-50 again with Darth Cheney as the tie breaker. But even if we can get legislation passed through the Senate, it would just be vetoed by Incurious George anyway.

And the moment Lieberman becomes a Repug, he will fade into the pack and lose the celebrity he enjoys in his egomania as an “independent.” He doesn’t seem to want to switch and see that happen now, but if Reid forces his hand, it will hasten a bit of a fall for Lieberman from the media spotlight.

So let’s contact Senator Reid and let him know that we want this to happen. If we got this ball rolling to the point where Reid acted on it (again, a long shot I know) it would stand as a message to this country that the Dems are serious about trying to end this war, and anyone who doesn’t want to do that should pack up and move across the aisle (or, short of that, STFU).

Update 7/23: What Atrios sez...

No comments: