Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Marching Back To The Dark Ages

I knew something like this would come eventually, but its arrival is no less disgusting.

As you can read here, The Supremes overturned a ruling today from the 8th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals that found the so-called "partial birth" abortion ban signed into law in 2003 to be unconstitutional.

The ruling majority, including Anthony Kennedy writing for the court, just undercut a woman's right to choose in the severest way possible (and God forbid that a woman in this country has something go catastrophically wrong with her pregnancy, including something affecting her own health, because in their infinite barbarity, Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Alito and Kennedy said today that she must carry the child to term regardless of the consequences - the ban makes no exception for the health of the mother).

This takes you to an announcement from Planned Parenthood in light of this awful ruling.

That's about it for today - I'm too disgusted to post anything else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sky is falling, is it Liberal Doomsayer?

This is a great day for the pro-life movement. We have Senator Sam Brownback to thank for rejecting the Miers nomination and getting Justice Alito on the court.

doomsy said...

Yes, I suppose it is falling in a way. I guess you could say that when you have a Supreme Court that ignores over 30 years of settled law on the issue of choice and instead decides to foist its own agenda on women who will be denied a hard-earned right to regulate their bodies as they choose.

This is similar in a way to what Silberman did on the D.C. gun ban, which is to reinterpret law the way he wants, ignoring all precedent. And all of this is perversely funny when you hear Orrin Hatch and company complain about "activist judges," who often rule in a manner that's ideologically similar to Democrats, writing new law from the bench.

Ron said...

So much for starri decisis (sp?).

--Ron

doomsy said...

"Stare decisis" - yes, meaning "to stand by things decided."

How true, sadly (and by the way, you'd better goddamn believe that abortion would be legal across the board and there would be no question about approving methods of contraception if men got pregnant - "Hey Bill, you'll never guess what I did. I was so happy that I bagged a buck on the first day of deer season that I hit the bar and did some shots, and I was still there for last call and I went home with waitress, the way I always do (thanks WZ), and I got myself all knocked up. What was I thinking? Aw, what the hell - I'll take care of it in the morning with a little pill.")

(A stretch, I know, but food for thought...).