Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Let It Fly

As a follow up to "Remember" below, I would like to make a request (please permit me my once-per-year rant on this subject).

As I did what I did over the Memorial Day weekend, I saw precious few flags on display around people's homes. I know the argument that you can't take off for the shore, mountains, or wherever for the weekend, leave the flag out, and observe good flag etiquette (that is, taking it in at sundown, to say nothing of the fact that leaving the flag out all night can be a signal that you're not home). I understand; really, I do.

But if you aren't going to do any of those things and are going to reside at your homes for the long weekend, then the flag should really be displayed. I'm not going to get all preachy and remind you that our people are fighting and dying around the world so we can live our lives the way we do, even though that's true. I'm just saying that flying the flag on Memorial Day, July 4th, 9/11, or Veterans Day is just a reminder that we know what our country is all about, we respect and honor it, and we respect and honor those who sacrifice for it (which a whole bunch of us do in one way or another).

Let's keep this in mind a few weeks from now when the next holiday comes along, OK?

3 comments:

thinkingblue said...

I won't fly my flag until the NEOCONS are gone... They make me ashamed to do so...

Please go to my post of July 8, 2005 http://thinkingblue.blogspot.com/2005/07/i-dont-fly-my-american-flag-anymore.html Thank You thinkingblue.blogspot.com

doomsy said...

I don't totally agree with you, but I definitely hear where you're coming from. Thanks fro checking in.

doomsy said...

"for"...ugh!