Thursday, June 01, 2006

"Watch" His Credibility Disappear

As you may know, I try to report on international stuff at this site to keep things interesting, such as the election in Italy with “Uh Oh, Silvio” Berlusconi, our recent re-establishment of diplomatic relations with Libya (which will NEVER sit well with me, by the way, but I understand why it happened), and yesterday’s story about the Russian bride in New York City who is trying to get her parents flown over for her wedding.

(I mean, there are only so many ways that I can explain how lousy the Bush Administration is…I have to do something to break up the monotony.)

Well, I received this item this morning from a confidential source.

As I read the story about Klaus Kleinfeld, chief executive of Siemens, I couldn’t decide what was funnier; the explanation that the watch was removed because it was “too prominent” in the photo, or the comment that the watch should have been left on because it might encourage other Germans to go out and spend more money. And the non-corporate-sounding sarcasm in the news report (which, of course, you can find in this country now in The New Yorker and practically nowhere else in our corporate media) was welcome also.

So now, “the fatherland” is going to experience the wonders of our global economy as we have in this country (and I just love the term “redundancies” as opposed to “losing your jobs and quite possibly your livelihoods also and inflicting suffering on your family because of your lost paycheck,” or something like that – nothing like the mechanized conformity of German behavior, is there…and I know a thing or two about that).

And this German egomaniac also sends an Email to Siemens staff explaining why he didn’t run his Marathon race in his usual time, huh? As if people care…

Next time, Kleinfeld’s PR flak should retouch the photo and remove his suit also, with Kleinfeld wearing only a barrel strapped across his scrawny shoulders. I hope the trade unions put him “over” it, so to speak, though it’s strangely reassuring to find a corporate dunce residing elsewhere besides this country.

No comments: