Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ashes And Sack Cloth Time

Local PA politics (be warned…)

As a Roman Catholic, I should point out that the Lenten and Easter observance is the most sacred time of the liturgical year for members of our faith. It is over a month away, but in spite of that, it’s probably a good time for me to do penance of a sort (and by the way, I am not trying to be irreverent towards that by what I will say afterwards in this post).

Am I going to apologize for anything I’ve said about Dubya, Cheney, Condi, Rummy, Scumbag Santorum, Gonzales, Alito, or any one of a number of other miscreants?

No. The person I have in mind is Andy Warren, one of the Democratic candidates for the U.S. House seat in the Eight Congressional district in Bucks County, Pa. I think the worst thing I ever said about him was calling him a horse’s butt in a post awhile back, but still, I think I should cut the guy a bit of a break.

I’ve had some communication with him recently (really can’t get into the circumstances…long and boring story anyway), and I think he means well enough. He may actually be running for the reasons that he says he is; namely, because he thinks he can make a difference and help this district with the issues impacting our lives and those of our families.

That being said though, I should state flatly that, unless we see the greatest political meltdown in the history of recorded time by Warren’s primary opposition (namely Patrick Murphy), Warren is going to be absolutely flattened by Murphy a few months from now.

This is a link to Andy Warren’s website, which I found after about three different Google searches (a comparison to Murphy’s slick site is almost a cruel exercise).

To say that it contains the usual political bromides is being kind. To say that you get NO CLUE as to what Warren believes to be the most important political issues in Bucks County is being kinder still. There are even word spacing problems and a stray typo or two in the site text.

Also, I have to point out that Warren is not the most photogenic person you are ever likely to meet. I’m sorry if that’s being unkind, but it’s the truth, and people vote based on that stuff (hell, people do EVERYTHING based on that stuff). I’m not a movie star either, but on the other hand, I’m not running for the U.S. House.

(Note: the photo in my profile is that of actor Patrick McGoohan in the mid ‘60s around the time he made the T.V. series “Danger Man” in the U.K., which became “Secret Agent” in the U.S. with that kickin’ theme by Johnny Rivers, probably the best T.V. theme song ever recorded for my money. I’ve always admired McGoohan as an actor and also as a person who has tried to project some sense of morality in the characters he portrayed, even the bad ones. I’d put my real photo there, but I’m more handsome:-).

Andy, please let me speak frankly here. Patrick Murphy has a HUGE leg up on you at this point in the blogger community (I don’t even think most other bloggers even know you exist), which means money and positive word of mouth among other Democrats, and I would guess that most of them are younger voters who wouldn’t respond to you anyway even if Murphy had no web presence at all (Murphy being a “fresher face” aside from his solid credentials). This is partly because Murphy is a veteran returning from a war the majority of the people of this country don’t want us to fight.

Besides, even if, by some cosmic circumstance, you actually DID win the Democratic nomination, the Repugs would find all kinds of ways to push your buttons and make your life a living hell in the general election. And with your penchant for making the wrong remark at the wrong time, you'd be sunk in nothing flat.

I read that when Warren decided to run for the Democratic nomination, he left his job at PENNDOT “immediately” to begin campaigning (if that’s true, then not bothering to give notice was highly unwise). If I were in his shoes, I’d go back to Eddie and try to cut the best deal I could to get my old job back, assuming that is still possible.

Update 1: Speaking of upcoming PA elections, "Sideshow Bob" Casey Jr. and his UTTER, STUPID JOKE OF A CANDIDACY FOR THE U.S. SENATE officially hits a new low (via Atrios). However, Ed Rendell has depressed me unutterably by casting his lot with Scalito as well. And lest anyone be confused by adding this update to this post, rest assured that I would sooner drill a metal stud into my forehead than feel any sense of remorse for these comments.

Chuck, it looks like you're the only shot we have.

Update 2: I just received an email containing all kinds of stuff on Fitzpatrick, including donations from Jack Abramoff (tee hee...thanks to Eric Karp). You can link to all the information here.

No comments: