Monday, January 23, 2006

In A Broken Dream

(yes, I know that technically doesn’t count as a solo tune…sue me).

After reading this post from the blogger First Draft (via Atrios), in which Gen. Michael V. Hayden of the NSA stated that instead of “probable cause,” illegal spying can be carried out on “a reasonable basis to believe,” I realized how truly blessed I was that I could now vent on what are, to me, two of my most loathsome subjects:

George W. Bush….AND ROD STEWART!!

Yes, he was great with the Faces. Yes, he had a nice run as a solo performer for a time. But guess what, Rod? IT’S OVER. Actually, I’m incorrect about that. IT’S LONG PAST OVER! Don’t ever imagine covering a Cole Porter show tune again, or I may be motivated to perform an act of violence.

Also, I remember those moments of bitchiness you had with Elton John (hey, as long as what he does behind closed doors is consensual, what the hell do I care? Besides, I’ve seen him put on some great shows) and Paul McCartney (whining because you were criticized for remarrying and he wasn’t…hey Rod, Linda DIED, OK? You last trophy wife just got too old for your liking, apparently. You get it?).

With all of that in mind (about Dubya/Hayden/Gonzales…the whole sorry bloody lot)…

If I listened long enough to you
I couldn’t think, because my brain would turn to goo
Knowing that you lie, straight faced while I try
To still find a reasonable basis to believe

General, F.U. – take your warrantless searches
And tell your boss to comply with the law
General, F.U. – Our laws and our courts
Will still be here when you’re gone, after all

Though your methods often give me pause
You listen with a standard lower than probable cause
The Constitution we’ll kiss bye bye, and hope al Qaeda will die
As we look to find a reasonable basis to believe

(tinny violin solo)

If we trusted everything you say
We’d all be brainwashed by the NSA
Ramadi would be blight, no terrorist “wedding” in sight
With no one left to find a reasonable basis to believe
Oh, by the way Rod, one more thing:

Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones, Tom Waits…NO MORE COVERS!!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey I really like your Lincoln quote.

doomsy said...

It's the justification for the existence of this site - thanks a lot.