Wednesday, October 12, 2005

No "Big Chair" For Him

I know this item is a couple of days old, but I had to comment on it.

I’m beginning to wonder if Antonin Scalia missed his true calling. If he seriously expects us to believe that he didn’t want to be Chief Justice, then I think he should be a politician, since he obviously has experience at peddling “a bill of goods.”

You can bet that, if Reagan had wanted Scalia to attend a swearing-in ceremony for the chief justice, he wouldn’t have blown it off for “a two-day seminar in Avon, CO on the separation of powers.” But for Dubya, who of course passed Scalia over, I’m sure Scalia didn’t feel too bad about not making the appearance.

(By the way, at the mention of Reagan’s name, I hope you dutifully took your hat off and placed it over your heart and sighed, “Ronald Reagan” the way the townspeople of Rock Ridge do for Randolph Scott in “Blazing Saddles”:- ).

Also, apparently the first case coming up for the Supreme Court under new Chief Justice Roberts is going to involve the federal government’s ability to regulate and control pollution on wetlands (haven’t found a link yet). I wonder how quickly the Supremes will cave and make it easier to foul our environment further (once again, as always, thank you red staters!).

No comments: