Friday, November 04, 2016

Friday Stuff

I give you the following clip to commemorate what would have been the 100th birthday today of legendary TV journalist and anchorman (before the term became a subject of parody) Walter Cronkite; I could probably include a bunch of other stuff in addition to Cronkite’s commentary on Vietnam, but I’m trying to point out how television news, by virtue of the depth of its reporting and what I would consider the moral clarity of many of the people who once brought it to us (people shaped in part by work as foreign correspondents, often during wartime – not saying these people were saints, just pros at their jobs), helped to make us more enlightened and informed than we are now, and I realize that’s a huge understatement…



…and what does it tell you that the editorial mantle, if you will, once worn by Cronkite now has to be picked up by comedians such as Seth Meyers (who does so admirably here again IMHO) and others because our corporate media personalities at our “news” organizations with initials for names have been so thoroughly cowed and co-opted, all in the name of trying to defeat “liberal bias”?…




…and in this TYT clip (NSFW), Ana’s utter disgust in response to the “Trump-ette” profiled (telling women allegedly assaulted by "Fergus Laing" to "get over it") is palpable and entirely justified as far as I’m concerned…



…and in response, this is definitely NSFW also, but for a good reason…



..oh, and did you hear the one about Trump showing up at an AIDS charity benefit and stealing a seat from the person who was there legitimately, and of course contributing nothing – Trump I mean of course (great work on Trump's alleged charitable contributions by the WaPo's David Fahrenthold)…



…and here is the latest on the Trump/Pence “poll watchers” (an update is here - and what kos sez here, by the way - NSFW again)…



…and I’m not exactly sure how amusing this actually is, but I thought I’d present it anyway; yes, I definitely side with the parents, but I’m not saying that there aren’t times when we ALL need to get a grip, as it were…



...and yeah, not really a message or anything here, just a tune for the weekend, which I’m sure will be a working one for many of us.

No comments: