Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Stuff

By the way, I don't think I'm going to be able to post the way I want to on a couple of big non-Sarah Palin stories that have broken recently, so I'll just try to provide some "ultra-quick hits" here...

  • I just have one response to this - NOW does everybody know why we've been screaming about a certain George Walker Bush for as long as we all have here? NOW does everybody know that we WEREN'T EXAGGERATING when we called our prior ruling executive cabal a bunch of corporatist, power-hungry, moralist-pretending, Constitution-shredding PIRATES??!! And now, does everybody know why I and much of this country were SO DAMN ANGRY ABOUT THE CONGRESSIONAL DEM FISA SELLOUT??!!


  • Update 1 7/11/09: Here's more (h/t Eschaton).

    Update 2 7/11/09: As Frank Zappa once observed, "the beat goes on and they're so wrooong" (here).

    Update 3 7/11/09: Man, is Tony Auth on a roll! (hope it isn't too hard to read; the talking donkey in the pen says, "We were against unconstitutional wiretapping before we were for it").

  • In the matter of Leon Panetta vs. Pelosi (or, in this case, Rep. Jan Schakowsky of Illinois), with the typically clueless House Repugs looking for a way to stick it to the Speaker because they have not one thing better to do, I think it's important to remember two things: Pelosi wouldn't be where she is unless she were an expert at "saving face," as they say, and Panetta (who's been around longer than she has I'm sure, though I guess I should check on that) isn't going to "dime out" the people he needs to run his agency effectively by admitting she's right (even though she probably is). Aside from that, I don't know what else to say about this - I know there's an important principle here...namely, our intel services aren't supposed to break laws, even though they routinely do...but I'm afraid it's going to be lost amidst the flotsam generated by the corporate media-political-industrial complex in this country.


  • OK, now that that's out of the way, here's what I thought was a good interview Rachel Maddow conducted with chief NBC foreign correspondent Richard Engel last night on Iran...



    ...and I just love it so when moralistic, hypocritical, self-serving Repugs go down in flames...



    ...RIP Drake Levin of Paul Revere and The Raiders (God, the go-go dancers from "back in the day" are a hoot, and as a YouTube commenter pointed out, no, that's not Goldie Hawn - funny if it were, though)...



    ...and it looks like Mr. Plant got a "Whole Lotta (Royal) Love" here, so to speak (God, Bob, Prince Chuck looks better than you do!), so here's a Led Zep fave in honor of the occasion (from '73).

    No comments: