Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cómo puedo decir que está mal, Senator McBush?

(I believe that translates to "How do I say you're wrong," but I'm not positive.)

Usually I have to put in some work to refute the typical Friday mess from Christine Flowers in the Philadelphia Daily News, but I had a particularly easy time of it today, I must admit.

She attacks Barack Obama since he blamed John W. McBush and Dubya over their party's failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform when they ran Congress and the White House combined (and Obama actually has the affrontery, in Flowers’ view, to point that out; in typically propagandistic fashion, Flowers also goes out of her way to drudge up – pardon the expression – the infamous “guns, clinging, bitter” business concerning Obama, statements that, with only a word or two of alteration at the most, any white politician in this country could utter with impunity).

And as Flowers actually admits…

Neither Bush nor McCain were successful in their efforts because of congressional gridlock brought on by fierce public opposition.
And gosh, who exactly was it who stoked that “fierce public opposition,” Christine? I’ll give you a hint (here – sorry for the link, but I’m trying to make a point).

Funny, but I didn’t see Obama or Democrats leading the opposition on common sense immigration reform. Any evidence that you saw that, Christine?

I didn’t think so.

This tells us, though, that, in yet another cave-in to “the base,” McBush has changed his tune, calling for enforcement first without passing the needed reform (which, to me, is like punishing people when they don’t know exactly what it is that they’ve done wrong; in 2006, he championed legislation with Ted Kennedy that made sense, though he’s sprinting away from that as fast as he can at this moment, which is particularly dumb because, as kos notes here, most of the rest of the country – those who aren’t acting like reactionary xenophobes – support it).

And by the way, Christine, I would say that, based on these numbers, most of this country sees through your little gambit of trying to blame Obama for this instead of the Malkinites and their ilk who are really at fault.

And McBush “has taken a step back to find some common ground?” Please. If you think that is possible with those standing in the way on the issue of common sense immigration reform, then Estás loco!

(And by the way, even though I posted this on Friday, I have no clue as to why it appeared on the site with a Thursday date - also, please check here for more posts.)

Update: Here's more from kos on this.

No comments: