Friday, June 06, 2008

Bringing A Knife To A Gun Fight

I guess that line paraphrased from the movie “The Untouchables” explains why I support Patrick Murphy on the issue of continuing to accept campaign contributions from lobbyists and political action committees, in light of Barack Obama’s recent decision not to accept these types of funds (here) and his encouragement of other Dems to do the same.

And I don’t oppose the Repugs for doing that also, by the way; my concern would be over the percent of the PAC donations versus those of private individuals among total campaign funds. And as Bucks County Courier Times reporter Brian Scheid tells us here, Patrick’s PAC contributions make up about 33 percent of his funds, as opposed to about 20 percent when he ran in 2006 (with about half of former congressman Mikey Fitzpatrick’s dough coming from PACs during the ’06 campaign).

Incidentally, just to give you an idea of how “the worm has turned” for the Repugs, Tom Manion has raised about $67K from PACs among his total contributions of about $422, 500. Even in a district still holding a Republican registration edge, that’s not cutting it (no wonder his spokesman Mike Walsh declined comment).

Yes, it shouldn’t be about the money. But again referencing the post title, I’m tired of unilateral disarmament that ends up shortchanging our side; I had a similar reaction when John Edwards did this, though I realized the importance of the principle (and as Scheid’s story tells us, PAC contributions in presidential elections aren’t nearly as significant as they are for congressional elections).

Until the swamp is drained to the disadvantage of both sides, so to speak, then I’ll continue to support Patrick on this. I would only get concerned if his PAC contributions ever outweighed his individual contributions by a significant margin, but if he keeps doing what he’s done as our congressman to date, I don’t ever expect that that will happen.

And by the way, to make a contribution, click here (so subtle, I know).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to meet Congressman Murphy for the first time on Saturday at the library in Levittown. He has regular stops in the hoods for his constituents which turned out to be a really nice event and I will be going to more.
The subject came up about helping seniors with property taxes and I offered an idea that I think is very doable...and much to my delight he said he thought so too. He had me give my name and phone number to a staff member. I hope something comes of it.
As for earmarks. At least now we know where the money is going, the transparency is through Murphy's efforts. We can see where the money is used and if it is for something worthwhile instead of just bridges to nowhere that no one wanted anyway then its not so bad as long as it is kept in moderation. The only way to stop all the bickering and finger pointing and reckless spending is to end earmarks completely for both sides.

doomsy said...

Good point about Murphy and the earmark transparency, and yep, they're kind of a "necessary evil" for now, but I'd rather have Congress making those decisions than Bushco and its clueless OMB under the useless Jim Nussle.

Thanks.