Saturday, December 01, 2007

Taking It To The Next Level

I know that, for the longest time, anyone who has visited this site (and as always, thank you for doing so) would immediately see the big orange graphic in the header with this guy’s face on it telling everyone reading it to boycott the Philadelphia Flyers and 76ers sports teams, as well as any Comcast-Spectacor events, with the stated reason being that Ed Snider supports Freedom’s Watch, which wants war without end in Iraq and also, according to this article by Bill Berkowitz, is now targeting Iran.

I got rid of it for now partly to feature the Out of Iraq Caucus blogroll to the right (of which I am honored to be a member), and also because I thought most people reading it generally got the point, and though I never got feedback on it, it probably was a nuisance at times for people to scroll down from it every time they wanted to read my brilliant content (snark).

But just because the graphic is gone for now, don’t think I’ve abandoned this cause (starting with this post). Far from it, actually.

With the help of my senior field correspondent (again, a bushel of thanks there), we’ve managed to track down some of the companies who choose to advertise at Comcast-Spectacor events. I believe the folks I’ll mention in a minute ran their ads on the “dashers,” or white side boards, of Flyers games, as well as the overhead scoreboard.

I wonder how they’ll feel knowing that, by paying Ed Snider to advertise themselves, they’re lining a warmonger’s pocket and contributing to the needless waste of American and Iraqi lives and the destruction of our hard-earned reputation for justice and fairness throughout the world.

I don’t know, but if you want to contact them and ask them, you can do so by clicking on the links below:

Comcast (of course)

Verizon

Geico

Modell’s Sporting Goods

This is their corporate address:

Modell's Sporting Goods
498 Seventh Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10018


Exelon Energy (PECO)

PepsiCo (Mountain Dew)

State Farm Insurance (link is flaky - sorry...)

Toyota

Dodge

Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light)

Independence Blue Cross

Sharp Consumer Electronics

Novacare

Lukoil

(Gosh, I remember a time when Ed absolutely refused to entertain the notion of Soviet players on the Flyers, but I guess their money is at least as good as ours now.)

McDonald’s

Southwest Airlines
After this, what I really should do is compose a form letter and contact these people directly about this, and I will do that in the coming days.

And in the spirit of all of this, here’s a video that presents something that Snider and his pals at Freedom’s Watch apparently want to see duplicated for generation upon generation (“Dad’s Gonna Kill Me” - "Dad" being military slang for Baghdad - by Richard Thompson).

No comments: