Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Arlen Tops Craig's "List" Now, I Guess

(And I mean that in terms of Specter as a political kindred spirit and nothing more, by the way.)

So our senator has come to the defense of Larry (I’m Not Gay) Craig, giving the beleaguered Idaho Repug the idea of now contesting his resignation from the Senate. I think this is an absolutely scurrilous development, and in response, I have only this to say…

Thanks, dude!

This breathes new life into a story whose “shelf life” was about to expire, keeping the spotlight on the hypocrisy of the “family values” party as it shields someone who has been the subject of innuendo concerning anonymous gay sex for years.

Do I ultimately care if all parties consent in the activity and show a bare minimum of discretion? No, though I will admit to be concerned if I ever enter a men’s room to do my typical “business” and see the stall door shaking, a man (presumably) on his knees and hear the sound of low moans.

And as far as Craig is concerned, there are other more important reasons for him to depart the Senate, though I’ll take this reason at the moment. And yes, I believe it is just for him to take the fall over this behavior since he represents the “family values” party and thus has placed himself on a higher pedestal and an equivalent standard of behavior.

And related to this subject, I read this post from Arianna Huffington today and noticed this excerpt in particular (her argument is that it’s a wasteful use of law enforcement resources to go after Craig when airport security is more important; though I acknowledge that she has a point, I still think she’s discussing apples and oranges, as it were)…

And, yes, I know, Sen. Craig pleaded guilty. But given the inevitable humiliation that would have ensued had he challenged this arrest, it's not hard to imagine that he felt he had no other choice.
Uh, no Arianna. Craig would have been humiliated either way, possibly less so had he pleaded innocent. And if this calls more attention to his entire congressional record, including his neglect of the environment, all the better.

(Either Arianna really feels this way, which I suppose she does, or this is all part of a brilliant ploy on her part to embolden Craig to the point where he fights for his seat and, again, “keeps up the traction” with this story and thus keeps the Repugs in spin mode, echoing Specter also.)

I posted earlier about how Craig is the darling of some freeper shock troops called the American Land Rights Association, but this post from mcjoan at The Daily Kos provides more information on Craig’s sneaky attempt to prevent the Snake River area that extends from Wyoming to Idaho from being covered under the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. Protecting this area was the goal of Craig’s fellow Repug senator and friend Craig Thomas of Wyoming, who died earlier this year.

If this is what Larry Craig does to his friends, I’d hate to see what he does to his enemies.

Update 9/6: By the way (concerning Specter), don't forget that, with this quote, he proved to be a "surrender monkey" on Iraq (tongue firmly in cheek).

No comments: