Friday, May 18, 2007

Anyone Notice Patrick Yesterday?

That question is aimed at the Philadelphia Inquirer primarily, because, in another interesting vote, Patrick broke with the Democratic Party leadership on the budget bill that passed the House by 214-209. Patrick voted against it, but the Inky didn't take note of it or follow up with him aside from mentioning Patrick's vote in the summary.

As the Inquirer noted, the bill allows Dubya's insidious tax cuts to expire and pays more attention to working Americans, kids and families.

I'm sure Patrick will say that, once more (as he did to explain his prior No vote), the bill did not do enough to curb spending. I'll await his answer - I cannot possibly imagine that it would be for any other reason; I haven't been able to determine the exact reason yet, and nothing is posted on Patrick's House site.

As much as I've hammered the Inky, though, and rightly so, I have to give them credit for a genuinely ballsy editorial today about James Comey's testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee this week, particularly the line about "the supine (109th) Republican congress" (yes, it's obvious I know, but we're talking baby steps here, people, OK?). But then again, they made up for it by publishing Kevin Ferris, but still...

(Oh where, oh where has my comment link gone, oh where, oh where, could it be..??).