Monday, September 04, 2006

The Labor Day Blues

The sun is shining where I am mixed with clouds, but I'll tell you the truth; I see very little reason to celebrate a holiday at this moment.

The Inquirer recycled another column in its editorial section today about the income disparity between workers and robber-baron CEOs, a nod towards some sense of civic responsibility that the paper, as far as I'm concerned, abandoned long ago (try making this story a regular feature in this paper, and also try refuting pro-business apologist Andrew Cassel once in awhile, and maybe I'll take you seriously...also, don't waste our time any more with stories like this one, OK?).

And, golly, The Bucks County Courier Times reported today on a manufacturing company in Bristol, Pa. that - get this - is actually hiring, under the headline of "Not All Manufacturing Jobs Heading Offshore" (boy, that sure is a cause for celebration, isn't it...can't find a link from their flaky web site at the moment).

At the moment, I also can't find the column (sorry) by Paul Craig Roberts where he stated that the Department of Labor does not keep track of jobs lost to offshoring, but I can find this one from a year ago that provides a dose of reality therapy for The Inquirer, the Courier Times, and the rest of us who may not already know this by now.

And from the "wishful thinking" department, I give you this.

Update 1 9/3: Here are more reasons to "celebrate" (I'll be drinking early today), and David Sirota has more here.

Update 2 9/3: Well, how do you like this (I was looking for a reason to move to "the boonies" of Wyoming, North Dakota or Montana anyway).

No comments: