Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Curt's A Creep - Scout's Honor

I received the following correspondence recently from the Sestak For Congress organization:

When Ross Doppelt, an 18 year old Sestak supporter, showed up for a Weldon event today, the Weldon team called the police - supposedly for fear that the native son and Eagle Scout was going to start a protest. There is more information in the statement below.
I also received a photo of Ross, but I will have to put that up tonight and link to it later (update: here's the link).

Statement from Ryan Rudominer, Spokesperson for Joe Sestak:

"We know Weldon has taken at least 30 plus trips to the former Soviet Union, and isn't used to having to be home to campaign, but hopefully this bizarre incident will remind him that in the Unites States members of Congress are accountable to the voters," said Ryan Rudominer, Sestak spokesperson. "So my message to Congressman Weldon: It may be appropriate in Russia to kick your constituents out of events when you're afraid if they disagree with you and call them spies, but in Delaware County we expect a bit thicker skin and more rational behavior from our representatives."

Ross Doppelt was born in Bryn Mawr Hospital in1987 and is a native of Havertown, where he has lived his entire life. He's an Eagle Scout and former class president at Haverford High School and is one of the 1200 Sestak canvassers who want change and are tired of Curt Weldon voting to raise his pay six times, traveling 34 times to foreign countries on the government dime and 56 times on special interest junkets around the world.

Earlier this week, Weldon made clear to Ross at a press event at Riddle hospital that Bill Bender attended,

"You're here as a guest; if you want to stay, don't record this." At today's event, Weldon approached Ross to bad mouth Joe.

By the way, Weldon sends his campaign workers to nearly all our events; they have protesters there and occasionally videotape Sestak. We welcome that. There was even a man yesterday who yelled out to Joe in the presence of two reporters, "how does it feel to sell out your uniform for personal political gain." It's a disgusting statement from a Weldon worker, about a man who has defended his country for 31 years with honor, but it is America.

Ross told me that Weldon confronted him asked where he was from.

Ross prepared the following:

- Born in Bryn Mawr Hospital December 9th, 1987
- Lived in Havertown for 18 years (that's my entire life minus the five and a half months I spent in New Orleans)
- From kindergarten through high school, I went to the township's public schools (Lynnewood Elementary School, Haverford Middle School, Haverford High School)
- I used to be a student at Haverford College

Education:

- Graduated Haverford High School with Honors, Class of 2005
- Attended Tulane University on a Distinguished Scholarship for Academic Merit
- While the University was closed following Katrina, I went to Haverford College
- I transferred out of Tulane and am now enrolled as an Economics Major at the University of Chicago

Political involvement:

- Worked for Rendell campaign in primary and general elections
- Helped the Kerry Campaign in 2004
- Sat on Haverford Township's School Board as a Student Representative

What I do outside of school:

- I'm an Eagle Scout
- In 2005, I received the Havertown Optimists Club's Youth of the Month Award
- In high school, I was class president
- I was a member of the National Honor Society
- I was on the editorial boards of my high school and college newspapers
- I'm a National Merit Commended Scholar and an Advanced Placement Scholar with Distinction
- I was evacuated from New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina, and I did volunteer work in the Ninth Ward after I returned
And by the way, the Weldon organization recently criticized Joe Sestak for supposedly wearing his admiral’s uniform at a political campaign event, which is patently untrue. With his highly informed and respected commentary on this sad accusation is Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy, distinguished combat veteran, and retired Navy Captain Wade Sanders.

No comments: