Thursday, June 22, 2006

Waging The Wage "War"

(I should point out, by the way, that the “war” phrasing came from a column online in Forbes Magazine, which of course represents the Repug “wealth” perspective exclusively. I would link to what I read, but the problem with that site, aside from the obvious bias, is that I recently read something there and lo and behold, Steve Forbes walked onto my screen in animated form and started talking, which caused some difficulty for your humble narrator. I don’t want to subject anyone else to that.)

John Edwards has correctly stated recently and in the past that raising the minimum wage is one means to help people escape poverty as a reward for their hard work. With that in mind, it’s no wonder that the Repugs killed the latest attempts to do just that yesterday.

Also, the Bucks County Courier Times is in full freeper mode today, but yesterday, they ran an editorial accusing David Brightbill, the departing PA Senate Majority Leader voted out as a result of last year’s pay raise scandal, of dragging his feet on approving the Senate bill that would raise the minimum wage statewide (the PA house law already passed). Brightbill’s answer is that he’s waiting for a recommendation from the PA Labor and Industry Committee, and said committee is saying that they’re waiting to hear from Brightbill.

Would I be overly suspicious if I wondered if Brightbill’s failure to act on this is a great big “middle digit raised on high” because he was voted out? I mean, it’s not like bills to raise the PA minimum wage have ever “died in committee” before, right?

Flavia Colgan has a link in her column that allows you to contact Brightbill and tell him to quit messing around with this.

Update 6/23: The bill passed in the Senate, but I have to figure out what strings are attached (it never ends...registration required for this from philly.com).

No comments: