Friday, July 29, 2005

Master of Disaster

So Bill (“Hide Fluffy and Snowball from Dr. Death”) Frist now supports stem cell research, huh? That’s an interesting way to divert everyone’s attention from the fact that he tabled the defense appropriations bill and brought up the gun maker immunity legislation instead as a sop to the NRA yesterday, telling our military to take a hike for now.

Gee, I guess I’m supposed to actually like this cretin now that James Dobson and the other “pro life” crazies are upset with him, aren’t I?

No shot...

Update 7/30 - I've had some time to ponder this development, and I had this thought. All of these people are cagey political animals - Santorum, DeLay, Frist, even Dubya - and I think this is a tacit admission by Frist that he knows he won't get the vote of Dobson, Robertson, Falwell, and the evangelical crazies when he runs for the Republican presidential nomination in '08 (and make no mistake...Frist wants to be president). I think he sees the handwriting on the wall because the right-wing nut jobs think he sold out on the filibuster deal a couple of months ago, though that won't prove to be much of a win for the Democrats when Roberts eventually gets to the Supreme Court. Also, though he appropriately prostrated himself to these phonies in the Terri Schiavo travesty, the person who went further than Frist was Jeb Bush, and I believe that HE is going to be "the anointed one" for the intolerant Republican right. Frist, realizing that, is going to go for the more moderate (and shrinking) faction of the Repugs, and this is a big step in that direction. I grudgingly have to admit that Frist, scary character that he is, is smart to figure this out.

No comments: