Friday, December 07, 2018

Friday Stuff


(And of course, not mentioned in the graphic is this.)

I don’t expect anybody to give a damn about my “hot takes” on anything, but since this is my dumb blog, I’m going to inflict them on you anyway :-).

I get incredibly fed up with Bill Maher whining about political correctness given all of the critical issues we face (and yes, I know he is definitely smart enough to know issue priority since he has said the environment is number one, and he couldn’t be more correct). But when I hear him going off on the PC stuff, I’m tempted to stick a butcher’s knife into the middle of my TV screen (after I unplug it, of course).

And then I come across this story…PETA can take the proverbial running jump at a rolling donut as far as I’m concerned for trying to be the “language police” (so I guess “flog the donkey” is RIGHT OUT, huh?).

And I also came across this – and yes, I know it’s the daughter of song composer Frank Loesser saying that now forced to defend “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” shouldn’t be played any more because of Bill Cosby, but I’m sorry; I still think it’s ridiculous to say that.

Update 12/9/18: OK, I messed this up, so I’ll try it again – it’s the radio stations that are using the Bill Cosby stuff as an excuse not to play the song, and Susan Loesser is now in a position where she’s forced to defend the song by her father. And yeah, I think that’s pretty damn ridiculous on the part of these radio stations – I’m not even going to dignify the possibility that Loesser the composer was seriously trying to encourage anything whatsoever to do with what Cosby did.

Yes, I definitely support #MeToo and the issue of treating women with respect shouldn’t be an issue because YOU SHOULD JUST KNOW TO DO THAT WITHOUT HAVING TO BE TOLD. But I just think we’ve gone way too far with trying to view the past through the often shrouded, fog-colored (and way too orange) prism of the present and we need to “turn this bus around,” you might say.

Now, as pertains to the pic above, John I. of TYT tells us about the latest Repug efforts to undercut legitimately elected Democrats, this time in Michigan (nothing against Cenk or John, but how many times does it need to be pointed out? Repugs don’t want to “govern.” They want to RULE! And they’re NOT INTERESTED in any dissent on that from ANYONE!)…



…also, Hasan Piker gives us what you could call a final-for-good postscript on GHWB (some of this was echoed by Jeremy Scahill, among others – I’m glad that we have this video as a counterpoint to the corporate media mythology about our 41st president…wish we had more of this when The Sainted Ronnie R passed, which is one of the reasons why I came up with this...NSFW)…



…and Robert Reich tells us just how much we need undocumented immigrants in this country, to say nothing of a path to citizenship that is actually sane for these folks who are trying, despite ridiculous odds, to do the right thing…



…and Farron Cousins talks with Scott Hardy of Top Class Actions dot com about lax food regulations making people sick (and so the food producers save about $12 mil, but it looks like we’re paying the price)…



...and here are a couple of more seasonal tunes.



No comments: