Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday Stuff

Do we? Sometimes I wonder (here)…



…and the whole “Cal Thomas saying something typically stupid and full of red meat for the CPAC wingnuts against Rachel Maddow” thing ended up moving a little faster than I could comment on it in real time, but I’m going to say something now anyway (here).

To begin, I give Thomas credit for being enough of a man to stand up and admit that he made a pretty childish mistake, though I wonder if he would have done that if Greta Van Susteren of Fix Noise hadn’t come to Maddow’s defense. However, I think we need to remember that Thomas fancies himself as some sort of pundit moralist who, if he had been that indeed, would have known reflexively to stand up to intolerance instead of catering to it, as he did at CPAC.

In that vein, as noted here (digging into the Wordpress archives), Thomas once praised the “worship experience” of former president Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalyn at the First Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., even though he once described our 39th president as something that “stinks as badly as a perishable item that has passed its ‘sell-by’ date.”

Given the Maddow dustup and some of Thomas’s past calumnies (including the item noted above), I think he needs to reread the scripture passage stating that “he who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted”…

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



…and I had planned to include this video since the name of this band echoes what I think of Thomas, but I’m including it even though he apologized because I like the tune anyway...



…and happy 50th birthday to Sheryl Crow.

No comments: