Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tuesday Stuff

Here is something to cry about for real, Orange Man (and congratulations to U.S. House Representative-Elect, Democrat Kathy Hochul from NY-26)...



…and I’ll be honest; I was going to go “all in” and work on some enormous post about Bob Dylan in honor of his 70th birthday, but I thought what he said recently about folk music, calling it “music for fat people,” as well as totally ignoring human rights issues in China when he recently performed there, were both pretty crappy (as noted in this fine column by Maureen Dowd; I couldn’t think of anything to say about it last month when it appeared, but better late than never I guess).

There were a lot of performers who gave up a lot in the way of commercial success and even risked harm to themselves by standing up and performing songs about what they believed in (Pete Seeger, for example). However, I suppose Dylan really doesn’t believe in much of anything when you get down to it (I’ve mentioned the book “John Lennon: The Life” by Philip Norman a few times in the past, and the former Beatle more or less dismissed Dylan’s supposed religious conversion in the late ‘70s in a fairly snide manner, for the record).

So, for now, happy birthday, Bob. Congratulations on achieving iconic status as one of the most famous artists of easily the last 50 years.

But as far as I’m concerned, you’re still a real jerk.

No comments: