Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday Stuff (updates)

Yep, we know what that idiot Joe Barton of Texas said, apologizing to the criminals of BP who have destroyed the Gulf (here, and Barton, being utterly bought and paid for by Big Oil, has a long, long history of this stuff), so I thought I'd add this response from Joe Biden - he gets going at about 2:30, and he's absolutely right...and by the way, I don't give a damn that Barton supposedly apologized for his apology (!), not concerning this...



Update 1 6/18/10: And as long as I’m on the subject of the spill, I should add that I’m glad somebody said this (h/t Atrios). I watched about a minute or two of K.O. haranguing Obama over the speech the other night with Tweety (who rolled his eyes in response, even though he has no room to criticize anyone as we know) and Howard Fineman, and I had to turn it off. I admire K.O., but the whole damn thing was ridiculous. Was the Deepwater Horizon rig constructed and approved on Obama’s watch? Of course not.

What we are watching is the full flower of the rapacious disaster capitalism that we’ve been warned about by easily ridiculed liberals like Naomi Klein, which has been nursed and nurtured primarily by Repugs for years. We are reaping the whirlwind of their mindless greed and slavish subservience to the investor class, first and foremost. Blaming Obama because he can’t wave a magic wand and make it go away overnight is an insulting notion to any adult with a brain.

Update 2 6/18/10: One more thing – I know there’s a spat going on right now between K.O. and The Daily Kos because a diarist at the site alleged that Olbermann was attacking Obama for ratings, or something like that. That’s an idiotic charge, and I don’t blame Olbermann for being POed. I disagreed with some of what Olbermann said in response to Obama’s speech because I didn’t think his analysis was as spot-on as some of his other commentaries; I just have a substantive disagreement with him on the merits. I’m not alleging anything other than that (and it’s not like I’m upset with the MSNBC host and that’s why his videos haven’t appeared lately; that’s a separate issue with MSNBC which actually happens every few months or so when they decide to mess around with the video uploads, screw up the process, and don’t fix their mistake for weeks on end).

...and I thought this was an appropriate selection in light of this story - if this blog had a theme song, this just might be it.

No comments: