Thursday, December 20, 2007

Maybe Guns Are Worse After All, Smerky

This quote from Michael Smerconish appears here…

Single-parent house- holds pose more of a threat to safety than firearms.
This was such a cosmically stupid observation that it has stuck with me all this time, and will continue to do so I’m sure.

With that in mind, I’d like to present this story that states the following…

…new research overturns a commonly held belief that families fractured by divorced parents become inferior havens for children compared with stable homes.

"My findings that parenting practices are unrelated to divorce appear to fly in the face of accepted wisdom," said Lisa Strohschein, a sociologist at the University of Alberta in Canada.

Some divorced couples may overcompensate for a split-up by focusing more attention on their kids, which could partially explain why divorced and married households scored similar child-caring marks.
Now I have a question with this right away because 5,000 kids from two-parent households were involved in the survey, with only 200 households that experienced divorce.

Also, I think it’s difficult to measure the effect of divorce on kids in a snapshot like this; someone would need more careful observation over time to get better results (I am hardly an expert here, I should add, and this is only a supposition on my part). However, the point of the survey that the couples’ income level is more of a determining factor in how they raise their kids than whether or not they stay together is the most important “take away” here as far as I’m concerned.

Can’t wait for the O’Reilly-esque frothing over this one, I should add (it’s probably started already).

No comments: