Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tuesday Stuff

About all I feel like doing at this moment is putting up videos as a tribute to Robin Williams.

I don’t have anything particularly interesting or profound to say about his death – I definitely wish to extend condolences to family and friends, and respect the family’s wishes to highlight only what he gave to the whole world. I think we’re starting to come to grips with the huge contribution he made to comedy and the arts and the size of the void we now face with his passing (also his acting talent, period - never saw "One Hour Photo," but I heard it was pretty creepy).

I saw a doctor on CNN last night say something about his years of alcohol and substance abuse and how that, combined with his recent heart surgery, could have contributed to his depression. I’m not saying that to heap dirt all over Williams’ memory, definitely not – only to point out that we need to be ever vigilant if we’ve had similar circumstances to guard against the trap Williams fell into (which, again, could befall any one of us).

Oh, and apparently, the person in our media who you would most likely suspect of saying something cruel and stupid about this did indeed say something cruel and stupid. If you’re so inclined, you can find the link at Crooks and Liars (for some reason, August is a really cruel month for stuff like this as far as I’m concerned).

Not to sound trite or preachy, but every day is a gift – that’s what I hang onto at times like this anyway (and the musical selection at the end is the one that’s been running around in my head all day long, for what it’s worth)…







No comments: