Friday, September 04, 2009

Friday Stuff

Lord knows I detested Bushco, but when they were riding high, they knew how to keep their "base" happy, a lesson that our current president apparently needs to learn (health care, Afghanistan, taking the lead on repealing DADT, which I know Patrick Murphy is doing in Congress...this is a recording).

Of course, that prior comment has to do with the politics of the health care debate, though apparently that has consumed the Obama White House to the point where, for the sake of the prized, Broder-esque notion of "bipartisanship," they're about to cave on the public option and deliver on a crappy deal (if so, Obama will pay the political price, and the rest of this country will pay the "real world" one, which I think Markos Moulitsas indirectly communicates to K.O. here).

I've been tempted to post on the fact that stories have popped up all over the place recently (like this one) stating that the young voters who helped elect Obama haven't taken the same initiative now that he's been elected. I always thought that was an incredibly simple story line which has more to do with the fact that people took time off from jobs, school, etc. and BUSTED THEIR ASSES TO GET THIS GUY ELECTED and now have to go back to living their lives, and that's why they haven't been as omnipresent as they were in last year's election, but I will reluctantly admit that disillusionment probably has something to with it also...



Update 9/5/09: And I would call this an instructive history lesson also.

...and the REALLY funny part about this to me is that the young one goes back on September 9th, so it doesn't matter to us one way or the other (Jonathan Alter pretty much sums up my thoughts anyway)...



..."Worst Persons" (Sean Inanity mixes up Obama, Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayres - well, at least he's got a three-day weekend coming up to review his talking points; "Straight Talk" McCain breathes new life into the "death panel" nonsense - I read a column from some pundit...may or may not have been Broder...where this person presumed that McCain might end up as the next Ted Kennedy in the Senate because he would be "bipartisan," and I laughed so hard my morning coffee almost came out of my nose - not pretty; but Mike Pence gets the nod for embracing another one of these "town hall" loonies invoking Hitler in a setting as scripted as McCain's, with Sen. Mr. Elaine Chao and Mel Martinez; you'd think Martinez would show some fortitude for a change since he's going to be retiring his clown shoes, greasepaint and rubber nose, but I guess that's too much to ask)...



...and I started this week with The Rolling Stones, so I should probably end it with The Fab Four, particularly because of this.

No comments: