Monday, June 01, 2009

Monday Stuff (updates)

I have to tell you that I have ideas for videos that I usually put here, and I will get back to that stuff soon, but I don't want any of that stuff to detract from what Keith Olbermann has to say here in response to the murder of Dr. George Tiller.

And this is game, set and match in the matter of Fix Noise and their foul influence here. If I may turn the McCarthyite phrase "jackal pack" the other way towards them, I think it fits for the ravening, inhuman hyenas that these life forms truly are.

And by the way, I'm sure it goes without saying here that, inasmuch as Fix Noise deals in facts (not much, I know), they're wrong on the matter of Tiller performing third-trimester abortions for any woman seeking one. And far be it for them to deal with that pesky fact that Tiller was acquitted by a jury on charges of performing abortions illegally (not deal with it honestly, I mean - that and more is noted here).

And as you watch Keith's segment, you realize that, though O'Reilly (with an assist from Beck and Laura Ingraham, as well as others) didn't pull the trigger that killed Dr. Tiller, he is culpable all the same.

Like a few of you I'm sure, we know a couple where the would-be mother underwent what amounts to a third-trimester abortion. Without dealing with it ourselves and knowing merely what we know from a distance, I can only say that you can't imagine how wrenching the circumstances are. It took place because something went catastrophically wrong with the pregnancy, to the point where the baby was barely viable and the mother's health was in ever-increasing danger (and by the way, don't even imagine that you're going to pass moral judgment on these people).

Basically, if anyone had both a conscience and even the remotest knowledge of what goes on in a circumstance like that, they would know enough to shut their goddamn mouths about it and stay the hell out of the discussion. And it was a blessing - yes, a blessing - that skilled health care providers like Dr. George Tiller existed for those needing this procedure.

And now he's dead. Murdered.

In a house of worship.

And more health care providers who could assist women and families in need will be deterred by murdering cowards trying to inflict their insane notion of morality on all of us.

With the encouragement of Bill O'Reilly and his gleeful stooges, all part of Rupert Murdoch's empire.

So that's why I don't want to put up any music videos or anything else to detract from what Keith Olbermann tells us here.

And I think he's right in his idea about how to respond to this. Certainly not through acts of violence, since that would vindicate O'Reilly and his fellow freaks, which would be a whole other level of tragedy.

Let me end this boring little pseudo rant by telling a brief story.

There is a dry-cleaning establishment near where we live that I frequently patronized. I would speak with the individuals working there, making nothing more than idle chit chat. No big deal, I know.

However, one day, I walked in, and a lady I'd never seen before was working behind the counter, checking on orders and generally tending to business.

And she was listening to Rush Limbaugh, who was speaking about Al Gore in typically derisive language and saying things that I knew were patently untrue (typical).

Before she could write up my order and take my garments, I said, "No thanks," took my stuff, left the store, and never returned.

It's good for the soul, people.



Update 6/2/09: This, most definitely, is wrong on a whole bunch of levels (presumably in response, though I hope not).

Update 6/4/09: What Atrios sez here...

Update 6/12/09: It’s not worth it to try and manufacture an entire post over the latest nonsensical ravings from Christine Flowers in the Philadelphia Daily News here, so I’ll just merely stick this in as an update to what I said above.

Basically, she tells individuals such as myself and other pro-choice people to stop blaming her, Bill O’Reilly, Randall Terry, and Pope Benedict - ??? – for the murder of Dr. George Tiller, saying that “the myth that the pro-life movement bears any responsibility for Tiller's death is on par with the fairy tale that most abortions are performed to protect a woman's health.”

And it’s interesting that Flowers and the Daily News have disallowed online comments to her column – yet another instance of bizarre editorial judgment at philly.com.

For full disclosure purposes, though, I should note that I’ve also disallowed comments at the Wordpress site for a little while.

And that’s because after getting deluged by “gunbloggers” and their attempts to engage me in online arguments about 1873 court decisions that supposedly enshrine the right to own a gun in the Second Amendment, as well as their recitations about how relaxed gun laws in England supposedly have made people safer, as well as a study by somebody named Gary Kleck that I debunked (and this was before the inevitable ad hominem attacks against yours truly…and by the way, none of this had anything to do with what I posted about, linking to two stories full of statistics about gun violence), I decided to disallow comments on a couple of posts only. However, soon afterwards, I received an unrelated comment that implied a threat against the president, and that’s when I decided to disallow comments on all new posts for a little while.

However, there’s at least one difference between me and Flowers; she is a paid professional, and I do this pretty much as a hobby. Even with their budget woes, I’m sure the Daily News could find an assistant or an intern to help Flowers with researching issues that are brought up in comments (I know there would be a lot of angry noise to sift through first, though). Shutting off comments completely in an opinion column over a hot-button issue like this (again, considering that we’re talking about a metropolitan news site with probably ten times my hit count, at least) is pretty chicken.

No comments: