Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday Video

Happy Birthday to Bob Weir; to mark the occasion, here's about four minutes of "St. Stephen" by The Grateful Dead which they performed on "Playboy After Dark" in 1969 (Weir looks like he's about 15 here).

As one YouTube commenter noted, it was kind of funny to see everyone dressed up and groovin' while The Dead performed resplendent in paisley and tie dye, and it was rumored that the guests had a little surprise in their drinks back when that sort of thing was tolerated, but I don't know it that's true or not and I suspect I never will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with anyone who celebrates Bob's birthday. If you weren't already on my blogroll, I would have put you there just for that.

Bob would look pretty young then as he wa the youngest of the group. He paired up with Jerry when he was -- get this -- 16. 16!!!

During the early 70s I was not a huge Bobby fan -- maybe it was because the chicks were just a little tooo into him.

But during the 80s, when Jerry was sick and too doped up to run the show, I saw how much he was holding the band together and really was the working heart of the band.

I am looking forward to seeing Ratdog again next month.

doomsy said...

I'm not really a "Deadhead," but I worked with people who were, and for the most part, they were pretty cool.

Sixteen, huh? I can imagine that Weir gave up part of his youth for touring and recording, but I'm sure it's paid off for him by now.

Thanks for checking in and adding me to your blogroll (all good...).