Friday, March 09, 2007

Dubya Should Mayan His Own Business

I think our friends in Central America may be onto something with this one…

Mayan priests (in Guatemala) will purify a sacred archaeological site to eliminate "bad spirits" after President Bush visits next week, an official with close ties to the group said Thursday.

"That a person like (Bush), with the persecution of our migrant brothers in the United States, with the wars he has provoked, is going to walk in our sacred lands, is an offense for the Mayan people and their culture," Juan Tiney, the director of a Mayan nongovernmental organization with close ties to Mayan religious and political leaders, said Thursday.
I’ve heard of locals performing purification rituals at sites before presidents visit, but never after.

Maybe Congress can appropriate money for a special Presidential Purification Squad to follow Dubya and cast out any bad karma created by our red-state leader, equipped with incense to be burned at the site of his most recent photo-op, floral petals to be tossed onto the path upon which Dubya once trod, and a chorus of singers chanting odes invoking a harmonic convergence of deities to bless those who have been inflicted by this pestilence of an administration (which would include the entire world, I suppose).

Geez, between this and the controversy over his proposed library at SMU, how much can one leader with the lowest approval rating since Harry Truman actually take (and I wonder whether "a speck" exceeds the statistical margin for error in the poll)?

7 comments:

profmarcus said...

yes, i posted on this one too... i have had the great opportunity to visit a number of ancient sites, and the thought of that man having the temerity to befoul such a place with his presence is horrifying to me...

doomsy said...

Sorry for the double-post - I checked before I came up with this, but I must have missed it.

Thanks.

Paul Shoul said...

so... I agree with your politics, but if you are going to grab my, or any photographers work off the web, you need to give credit where credit is due. This is how we make our living. I photographed that Myan woman in Guatemala as part of a photo gallery on gonomad.com. Bad form my friend. I know it seems harmless, but we work hard to get these images, sometimes at our own personal risk. Please, next time do it right. We generaly do not mind if individuals use our work for personal / political use, as long as it is done with respect.
Paul Shoul

doomsy said...

Paul,

I wasn't trying to disrespect you or anyone else. All someone has to do is "mouse over" any photo at this site to see where it came from (out of the hundreds of photos here, there may be an exception or two, however).

Short of that, I don't know what else I can do - no one else has ever mentioned this before. I applaud your efforts and I admire the risks you take for your photos.

doomsy said...

Uh, Paul, feel free to jump in and point out any time that I'd been attributing photos properly all along...

I added a note under the Joan Ryan quote on the top of the page that all you have to do is "mouse over" the photo to see the ID (again, I may have missed a couple over all of this time, but I didn't miss yours; not real happy about getting called out for something I didn't do).

I don't know what to do if the popup isn't good enough - sorry if I’ve violated some double-secret rule of blogging attribution that, apparently, only the “A list kool kidz” know about, OK?

Paul Shoul said...

sorry I came on a little strong. I get super sensitive about photo usage. I had to sue NBC after they grabed an image. Its a brave new world in the photo biz. We are all trying to determine what the parameters are. I had not noticed the mouse over.Your pompus fellow blogger
Paul

doomsy said...

Fair enough - thanks.