Thursday, August 30, 2012

My 2012 U.S. House Voting Guide

It’s been a few days since I finished compiling the list of the 31 U.S. House Republicans opposed to health care reform, and I wondered what the next step should be. I mean, pointing out that these people fundamentally are frauds and charlatans is a nice, therapeutic exercise I know, even if it ended up being waaay more time consuming than I thought it would.

But how do we actually get rid of them, I wondered?

With that in mind, I did a bit of research and came up with a list of Democratic challengers for not quite all of the 31 that, as far as I know, is as firm as can be expected at the moment (I think there’s a question about William Smith, and the Dem primary won by Harold Whitfield was being recounted the last I checked). Also, I say “not quite all” because Boehner, Broun and Gohmert don’t have Democratic challengers (I couldn’t find any – if there are brave souls out there taking them on that I don’t know about, please leave a comment to that effect). I also hacked around with some HTML a bit and came up with the table format; the incumbent names are linked to the prior posts the same way they were during the countdown, and the challengers are linked mainly to their web sites, but also a Twitter page and a blogspot home page also.

I wish to emphasize that I know nothing about almost all of the challengers, but maybe (if you’re “represented” by any of the 31) it might be a good idea to learn more about these folks (and, if you’re so inclined, to chip in with some coin to help them out). And I’m not going to pretend that trying to knock off the incumbents isn’t going to be a mammoth exercise in some (maybe even most) cases. But that journey of a mile begins with a single step, as they say (or something).

Anyway, here’s the incumbent/Dem challenger list…

No. Repug Incumbent Dem Challenger
1 Steve King Christie Vilsack
2 Mike Fitzpatrick Kathy Boockvar
3 John Boehner Unopposed
4 Eric Cantor Wayne Powell
5 Michele Bachmann Jim Graves
6 Paul Ryan Rob Zerban
7 Louie Gohmert Unopposed
8 Allen West Patrick Murphy
9 Joe Pitts Aryanna Strader
10 Jack Kingston Lesli Messinger
11 Patrick McHenry Patsy Keever
12 Spencer Bachus Penny Bailey
13 Jim Gerlach Manan Trivedi
14 Cliff Stearns Heather Beaven
15 Jean Schmidt William Smith
16 Phil Gingrey Patrick Thompson
17 David Schweikert Matt Jette
18 Virginia Foxx Elisabeth Motsinger
19 Pete Sessions Katherine S. McGovern
20 Charlie Dent Rick Daugherty
21 Cathy McMorris Rodgers Rich Cowan
22 Chris Smith Brian Froelich
23 Todd Akin Harold Whitfield
24 Buck McKeon Lee Rogers
25 Kristi Noem Matt Varilek
26 Hal Rogers Kenneth Stepp
27 Lou Barletta Gene Stilp
28 Paul Broun Unopposed
29 Mary Bono Mack Sukhee Kang
30 David Dreier Julia Brownley
31 Marsha Blackburn Credo Amouzouvik

No comments: