Monday, August 24, 2020

Monday Stuff


(By the way, I know the Kenosha, Wisconsin shooting of Jacob Blake is quite rightly the lead story today...I for sure don't have any particularly brilliant "hot take" to share except 1) Why didn't this guy stop when police had guns drawn? 2) Why didn't one of the cops on the scene block him when he tried to get something out of the vehicle? and 3) WHY THE HELL WAS HE SHOT SEVEN FREAKING TIMES??!! And yes, I realize there will be MUCH MORE to come on this.)

Update 8/25/20: Well, when somebody gets shot seven times, this, tragically, is a logical result (and I don't want to hear this shit "But there was a warrant.").

Returning to this week's Repug National Hate Fest...as you watch an assorted gaggle of Republicans pay homage to the Gropenfuhrer this week, I would ask that you keep the following video in mind (here)…



…and Brian Tyler Cohen tells us about a formerly-secret phone call between 45’s niece Mary Trump and his sister, Maryanne Trump Barry (didn’t know about the Fordham stuff, though I’m sure it’s a good school and I don’t mean to impugn the institution here)…



...and speaking of Mango Mussolini's family, I thought this was a pretty good mashup of Uday Trump Jr.'s BS and some of what has transpired to date...



Update: Typical criminal behavior (here)...

…and Farron Cousins tells us that there are some particularly cowardly U.S. House Republicans getting ready to toss Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy under the bus…”yeah, we’re going to leak this to the WaPo, but sssshhhh” (wonder if that group includes this guy?)….



…and as long as I’m commenting on this year’s Teahadists/MAGA heads/whatever, I thought I’d add this clip of legendary CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow speaking out against Sen. Joseph McCarthy because of Murrow’s tag line at the very end (“The fault, dear Brutus,” which I considered in response to this)…yes, Murrow was speaking out against McCarthy’s efforts to vilify people for alleged Communist sympathies, and that may seem a bit of out context, but I think it’s apropos because, based on the results of the poll I linked to, there are people who need to get their heads together, you might say, in considering the “party of Lincoln” and its response to the COVID pandemic in this country, in the same manner as they needed to reframe themselves a bit in response to McCarthy’s antics, which ruined lives and careers…



…and given that I’ve spent a lot of time here responding to the “R” party, I think I should devote a little time to the “D” party now also… Jon Capehart talks with The Rev. William Barber about the Dems addressing the needs of the working poor in the US, which, I would venture to say, encompasses most of this country (I know the John Lewis Voting Rights Act is stuck on the desk of The Grim Reaper in the Senate, and here is a list of other legislation currently in the same circumstance…God, I wish the Dems would beat this drum, as it were, over and over and over)…



…and David Doel tells us how Nancy Pelosi’s endorsement of Joe Kennedy apparently backfired – ridiculous to think about all of the money set on fire for this stupid campaign from Kennedy that could be put to MUCH BETTER use for other contests (every time I see the face of Cheri Bustos, I’m tempted to punch my monitor…the last minute and a half of this segment is REALLY important)…



…and I feel duly obligated to include this song as part of my summer selections.

No comments: