Monday, July 11, 2005

Assorted Musings

I meant to add, regarding the prior post, that it was the product of reviewing the sordid garbage that has been spewed lately from Faux News, and I kind of imagined something that would approximate a left-wing, progressive response (and, unfortunately, the only venue that would be granted for that purpose).

The Daily Kos has some more on the whole Cooper/Novak/Plame memo thing (interesting minutiae), and a thought occurred to me on that, and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it.

I'm going to pretend to be a real Pollyanna for a second and throw this out there. Suppose Michael Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor from Bushco's "Justice" department, really is going to go after Novak, but he hasn't yet because Cooper and Miller have played smaller roles, and he's just trying to build up a case so that, when he does go after Novak, it will be as rock solid as possible. That's typically the way you prosecute someone suspected of a crime. I mean, with Watergate, they didn't start investigating Nixon right away, did they? Of course, I'll grant you that they didn't know it would lead to Nixon at the beginning, but as I said, the committee and Judge Sirica went after the underlings first. It's just a thought.

That being said, though, I believe something like the opposite scenario will take place. I think Fitzgerald wants Cooper on the stand, even though he turned in his notes (and though I was in grudging agreement with Pearlstine, Time's publisher, on that, I'm definitely still going back and forth) because Fitzgerald wants to discredit him and Miller (who, of course, is already in the slam). I think Fitzgerald's marching orders are to hammer anyone who reported the story or had anything to do with it, and when the time comes around to look at Novak, the "journalist" will just plead that it was all some kind of mistake and he was in error. A tactic like this is Bushco to a "t", and it would definitely let Rove off the hook.

The only problem is that such a tactic is also typical of a dictatorship.

P.S. - Today's David Sirota plug...check out his blog to find out why "compassionate conservatism" is an oxymoron (it's all in the numbers, as usual).

No comments: