Friday, April 08, 2022

Friday Stuff


And we're supposed to act like the "party of Lincoln" actually ISN'T racist (though, to be fair, Mitt Romney did stay and applaud apparently)...


...and Robert Reich tells us why the KBJ confirmation matters so much, namely because the SCOTUS and its “shadow docket” poses all kinds of ways to potentially make our lives worse, as Reich explains...



...with the culprits on the High Court being confirmed under Republican presidents, from the party that apparently wants to “leave democracy,” as Beau explains (also noting that those wretched CPAC mongrels want to have their next gathering in Viktor Orban’s Hungary, given their love of right-wing authoritarians)...



...and as a bit of a companion piece to Beau’s commentary, Jessica Burbank of Rebel HQ points out how our wingnut media is committed to fascism, with Burbank reminding us that, basically, it’s the “center left” against the wingnuts who want to drive the metaphorical bus of democracy over a cliff (more on the U.S. House Repugs opposing the NATO resolution is here)...



...and I know I’m pretty late with this installment of “This Day In Doomsy History” from 4/4/16, which has to do with a video for the film “The Brainwashing of My Dad” by Jen Senko (concerning the insidious effect of right-wing media), but the main reason why I’m presenting it now is because Senko will be interviewed about it this Sunday 4/10 on KSQD community radio (5 PM PST – can be livestreamed...more here)...



...and this video from More Perfect Union has to do with the efforts of Capitol Hill congressional staffers to unionize, led by Dems Andy Levin in the House and Sherrod Brown in the Senate (I’m sure this is an issue where you REALLY CAN say it’s “both sides”)...



...and a few of the clips in this post have to do with the pernicious effects of right-wing media in our lives, and I can think of few other people who fought that more valiantly than Eric Boehlert...there’s no way I could bring this week to a close without including this segment (unless I post tomorrow – not sure yet)...I think Chris Hayes spoke eloquently for millions here in tribute to Boehlert (he definitely did for me)...



Update 4/10/22: Indeed.

...and I had a few tunes in my head that I thought were appropriate for this occasion, but I settled on this one (yes, we can’t help but be mournful, but we also should reflect on how fortunate we were to have Boehlert and his courageous work for a time and try to pick up his mantle, if you will, as best we can).


No comments: