Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Patrick May Regret This

I’m not sure it was particularly wise on the part of Patrick Murphy to endorse Barack Obama as the Democratic Party nominee for president at this moment.

Oh sure, he’s entitled to do what he thinks is best, even though it means denying John Edwards of his well-deserved endorsement. And this fits in with Patrick’s M.O. of charging forward and doing the right thing with the courage of your convictions, which is otherwise laudable (and Obama did show leadership, I thought, in this speech calling for an end to our utterly ridiculous embargo of Cuba, and I have to admit that I think Obama was right to keep the door open for discussion with unpopular leaders in a potential first year of a first term, despite the “slapping down” he got from Hillary among others).

But as a TPM commenter noted, this is awfully early in the process to come out in favor of a nominee. And though there has already been more presidential candidate saturation than this time four years ago (sometimes too much, maybe?), there’s no way we could or should know everything, and I just think it would have been more prudent to wait until we got closer to the PA primary at least and had more information.

But again, I respect the courage of Murphy’s convictions (and like me, Patrick will of course support the nominee of the party).

I can’t help but wonder what Bill will think of this, though (no more of Bubba at rallies like the one pictured above in Bristol last year, I guess, seeing as how this also freezes out Hillary for now).

2 comments:

daveawayfromhome said...

I hate seeing people come out this early in a campaign. It's going to be the same damn thing it was with Kerry, where the decision seems to be made well before the voters decide anything, all because a handful of players and organizations came out in favor of somebody. It'll have the same damn result, too.

doomsy said...

Yep, probably right; by the way, sorry about the comment moderation, but I've been getting more spam than usual lately for some reason.