Thursday, August 23, 2007

The 8.6 Percent Non-Solution

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know much about California politics. And this story is good news in that Democratic State Assemblywoman Laura Richardson is going to Washington to fill the seat of the late Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald.

But I’d like to note the following about her victory (which was anticipated, apparently)...

As expected, turnout was low, at 8.6 percent. Tuesday's runoff was a bit anti-climactic after a bruising primary campaign in June between Richardson and state Sen. Jenny Oropeza.
Now I have to admit that I know a thing or two about elections that, due to a one-party plurality, end up being mere formalities (we have such a case in Philadelphia with Democratic nominee and presumed-next-mayor Michael Nutter running against Republican Al Taubenberger – not to be a cynic, but the real election was the Democratic primary, which Nutter won against four other candidates).

But 8.6 percent? That’s not low, that’s microscopic!

Is it really necessary for me to point out that we have seen elections in Iraq and Lebanon where people risked their lives to vote, knowing what was at stake (I’m the last person to act as a commercial for Bushco, but let’s have a little context here, OK?).

A turnout of 8.6 percent is absolutely shameful. If it weren’t for the possibility that Ahh-nold would automatically give the win to Kanaley the Republican (likely that would happen), I would encourage that the results be thrown out and the seat awarded by The Governator to the winner on merit (again, I have no clue as to whether or not that would stand up to a court challenge, but as far as I’m concerned, that’s what the voters of that congressional district deserve).

And yes, I’ll say something like this in a few months if a similar result occurs in the Philadelphia mayoral election.

No comments: