Friday, February 17, 2006

Now I'm Confused

Not a banner day for our side today, citizens (local PA politics)...

So let me try to get this straight…

Ginny Schrader is dropping out of the PA State Senate race against a Repug other than Joe Conti for “personal reasons,” but instead is going to be “a co-chairwoman” of the Andy Warren campaign, he being one of the candidates for the Democratic nomination to run against Repug Mike Fitzpatrick for the incumbent’s U.S. House seat?

This is bad on so many levels that I’m not sure I can describe them all (J.D. Mullane has probably been assaulting his keyboard in a fit of orgiastic ecstasy for hours now writing his new upcoming “attack” column over it).

So Schrader is going to bail out of a PA state senate campaign for what is, in effect, a vacant seat against an unnamed Repug challenger (possibly Chuck McIlhenny) to be a co-head of a primary campaign for a man who was a Republican until last year and who, barring something akin to a nuclear holocaust, will be defeated by Patrick Murphy in the primary? For “personal reasons”?

Ginny, I would say that, for “personal reasons,” any kind of a career you may have been planning in public life, as a result of this turn of events, has now been effectively flushed down the toilet. Considering that this has come on the heels of two failed U.S. House campaigns and your committal to a third before bowing out, I can’t see how you or anyone else can expect to overcome this.

I don’t know if you can recover, and frankly, I’m not sure if you should be allowed to.

No comments: