Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tuesday Stuff

- I added Glenn Greenwald’s great blog “Unclaimed Territory” under “What Doomsy Reads” in the right column. I’d been meaning to do that for a little while, but his post today (hat tip to Atrios) finally made me do it, because he calls out Glenn “Instapundit” Reynolds for not condemning (at first) the latest barbaric remarks from Ann Coulter.

The response from Reynolds is hypocritical in the extreme, as per usual, with Greenwald making the excellent point that Ward Churchill, a bogeyman for the right-wing zanies cited by Reynolds, is a fringe type at best, though Churchill is commonly associated with liberals by Reynolds and his followers. Reynolds frequently calls on lefty bloggers to disavow him, but he had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do that in a very tame way to Coulter, who is infinitely more important to her followers than Churchill is to any he may have on the left.

(By the way, apparently Churchill has written that many of the people killed on 9/11 were not innocent civilians, and I categorically repudiate that. However, though such a notion disgusts me, I respect the fact that Churchill has a right to his opinion, as well as his pungent “little Eichmanns” remark.)

Update 2/15: Sounds like Coulter has more of a problem than just her noxious words for a change (hat tip to Atrios).

- This is a great summary of the story of Paul Hackett dropping out of the running for the Democratic Party nomination in the Ohio Senate election by Kos, who I believe would know about it better than anyone. I read the CNN story, but aside from the spin that somehow Hackett got hosed by Charles Schumer, I would listen to Kos and ignore “our MSM cousin” on this one (I’m not happy with Schumer for making sure we in PA got stuck with Bob “Not Santorum” Casey, but I don't think he can be blamed this time around).

No comments: