Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday Stuff


I now give you the latest installment of “This Day In Doomsy History” (more or less) from 7/24/13...one of the many utterly ruinous aspects of the slide by the Republican Party into authoritarianism as far as I’m concerned is the fact that it has done a lot to drive good, talented people out of government or managed to keep them from getting elected in the first place, and Exhibit A on that score as far as I’m concerned is former Dem PA U.S. House Rep Rush Holt of New Jersey...yes, he ran in the NJ Dem U.S. Senatorial primary and lost to Cory Booker, which is just the system at work I know, but I’m sure his voice would be greatly appreciated...here, he discussed the simplest way to fix Social Security (in consideration of this)...



...and Brett Erlich of TYT talks about last night’s 1/6 Committee hearing, highlighted by “Running Man” Josh Hawley and members of the Secret Service who apparently were sending text messages to family members because they thought they were going to be killed – tells you how much we’re sitting on the knife-edge of our democracy that these corrupt, delusional maniacs could (and likely will) try this insanity again in one form or another (and working to undermine our elections state by state as well)...



...and I have to admit that I thought this was a pretty spot-on analysis from an MSNBC panel of Rachel Maddow, Alex Wagner, Stephanie Ruhle, Ari Melber and Joy Reid about combatting all of the Trumpist BS from the “party of Lincoln” and putting the 1/6 Committee hearings in that context... I thought Maddow’s last comment was particularly spot-on (“fight fire with water”)...



...and Jayar and Jessica Burbank discuss Dem members of Congress who were recently arrested protesting in front of the SCOTUS over the Dobbs ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade (oh, but let’s have days of media hand-wringing over protesting “I Like Beer” Kavanaugh at his upscale waffle house, or whatever that mess was...yes, I realize there definitely was a performative aspect to this protest that actually may be a little self-defeating, but it would have been far worse to do nothing)...



...and as long as we’re discussing Congress, I think that’s a good time to include this Second Thought video about our federal legislators lining their own pockets via stock trading...and yes, that should be illegal...I know we discussed Mango Mussolini’s antics previously with the 1/6 Committee clips, but there were times when I wondered why the hell Congress didn’t just go after him for violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution, and then I remembered that that might hold up our House and Senate politicians to scrutiny they didn’t want...and yeah, that’s not a good reason to not take that approach with Number 45 I’ll admit...



...and happy belated 75th birthday to Carlos Santana (not the ballplayer); best wishes for continued good health (I featured the Woodstock parody yesterday, so I might as well include the real thing now).

No comments: