Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Bad Idea, But A Good Start

Sometimes the “senator from MBNA” gets it right, and I have to admit a newfound respect for him since I saw him on “Real Time with Bill Maher” recently. Then again, it’s possible that I’m just SO HAPPY TO SEE SOMEONE VYING FOR THE PRESIDENCY WHO HAS A BRAIN that I’m overlooking some of his more wishy washy moments, such as his failure to support Russ Feingold’s call for censure and his support of the fraud bankruptcy bill.

What Joe Biden is proposing is the partitioning of Iraq by Kurdish, Sunni and Shiite regions (I know it’s hard to find the portion of the article identifying what Biden said, since this is the Houston Chronicle after all, but trust me, it’s there; and Scott McClellan, in one of his “swan song” moments, immediately shot it down).

I can’t recall that this has ever worked throughout recorded history, notably during the days of the British Empire. This could also create an opportunity for Iran to annex the Shiite territory – by force, possibly – which would not bode well at all. However, such partitioning would likely reduce the sectarian violence (I mean, how could it hurt as an attempt at this point?) and reduce the burden on our people and the Iraqi forces of trying to determine who belongs to which tribe in the ongoing effort to keep from getting killed.

Given all of those points, of course Bush would pan it. It’s too logical, isn’t it?

No comments: