Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Love Our Troops, Hate The War

I’ve taken the Philadelphia Inquirer to task recently for pretending to cover (here I go again with that word – dive…dive…) the “blogosphere,” because I thought that what they did was write about stuff that, pretty much, was utter nonsense of one type or another that pertained to blogging in a vague and/or unimportant way (i.e., the demise of the T.V. show “The West Wing,” the length of the pants worn by our military personnel in a MoveOn.org ad protesting the war, etc.).

Well, I have to admit that they touched on something today that, apparently, has been pressing buttons all over the place, though it all was, quite literally, news to me. So, for the benefit of anyone who isn’t up on this, please allow me to explain.

About a week or so ago, Joel Stein, who I believe was a former Time correspondent before he got a job with the L.A. Times, wrote an opinion piece stating that he doesn’t support our troops and he doesn’t support the Iraq War, and he thinks that anyone who says that they support the troops but not the war is a wuss. In response, the Inquirer ran a column from someone named Angelina Sciolla who basically ridiculed Stein and said that anyone who said they supported the troops but not the war is a coward.

Update 2/6: Sorry...have to register for Stein's column at the L.A. Times site now. If I can find a link that doesn't require registration, I'll put it here.

(Note: I breathlessly await the day when we can have a discussion like this without the name calling, and yes – I’m aware of the fact that I’m guilty of that at times also. I went back and forth with Robert The Troll a few months ago and attempted to have some kind of dialogue like that with him in the post comments, but I got tired of his name-calling characterizations of people I respected and his unresponsiveness to my posts to the point where he would use the comments to pontificate on anything he wanted, so much so that I had to set up comment moderation. I’m sure that has discouraged commenting activity, though I don’t typically get a lot here anyway – that’s OK. Let’s just say that if the lefty bloggers and the right wingers got together and arranged a truce of sorts on that, I would sign on for it also.)

Before I go any further, I want to restate my position on both the troops and the Iraq War:

I support the troops, but not the war (I have NEVER supported this war).

Want me to repeat? OK.

I SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BUT NOT THE WAR.

Louder? Sure.

I SUPPORT THE TROOPS, BUT NOT THE WAR!!!!

And this is one of the ways that I'm doing it (not a lot, I know, but it's something).

I would confront Sciolla directly on this, but here’s the reason why I don’t.

As anyone who has spent any time at this site knows by now, I don’t really tell you much about who I am (the photo in the profile, as I pointed out earlier, is that of the actor Patrick McGoohan from approximately the mid 1960s who played characters that embodied a lot of qualities that I admire – determination, self reliance, an inherent mistrust and loathing of authority, etc.). It wouldn’t be too difficult to find out more about me, but the reason I do this is primarily for the sake of my family. If I knew that people on any side of the political equation would act the way they should all the time, then I would say more. But I don’t. And I don’t think that makes me a coward; actually, I don’t really care if anyone thinks that it does.

Besides, I’ve done a bit of poking around regarding Sciolla, and she’s been mentioned prominently at the leading “freeper” sites like Free Republic, so, as far as I’m concerned, she’s a yapping attack dog anyway (though I do give her credit if she actually DOES literally support our troops to one degree or another; her Inquirer bio says that she writes letters of support to our soldiers at Walter Reed Army Hospital, and I can only hope that she is trying to provide comfort in doing that instead of advocating her politics).

In his column that started this ruckus, Stein makes what I believe is an excellent point (also made in a highly articulate way by Bill Moyers a couple of years ago); namely, that we adorn our jacket lapels and dresses and vehicles with pins, ribbons, etc. that say “Support Our Troops,” “Freedom Isn’t Free” and the like to pump ourselves up and hide the guilt that we feel over the fact that we have basically encouraged the amoral cabal that currently rules this country to sacrifice our troops on a fool’s errand in Iraq (the collective “we” probably including more people than it should here, I know). Aside from Stein’s other pointlessly snide remarks, that is the reason (I believe) why the “101st Fighting Keyboarders,” as Atrios calls them, went absolutely nuts, kicking and screaming furiously at the site of The National Review and columnist Jim Geraghty, who set up a comment forum on Stein’s piece.

Here is exactly what Moyers said about that, by the way, which he said to close an episode of his program "NOW":

“I wore my flag tonight, first time. Until now I haven’t thought it necessary to display a little metallic icon of patriotism for everyone to see. It was enough to vote, pay my taxes, perform my civic duties, speak my mind and do my best to raise our kids to be good Americans. Sometimes I would offer a small prayer of gratitude that I had been born in a country whose institutions sustain me, whose armed forces protected me and whose ideals inspired me. I offered my heart’s affection in return. It no more occurred to me to flaunt the flag on my chest than it did to pin my mother’s picture on my lapel to prove her son’s love. Mother knew where I stood. So does my country. I even tuck a valentine in my tax returns on April 15th. So what’s this doing here? I put it on to take it back. The flag’s been hijacked and turned into a logo, the trademark – the trademark of a monopoly on patriotism. On most Sunday morning talk shows, official chests appear adorned with the flag as if it’s the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. During the State of the Union, did you notice Bush and Cheney wearing the flag? How come? No administration’s patriotism is ever in doubt, only its policies. And the flag bestows no immunity from error. When I see flags sprouting on official labels, I think of the time in China when I saw Mao’s Little Red Book of orthodoxy on every official’s desk, omnipresent and unread.

”But more galling than anything are all those moralistic ideologues in Washington sporting the flag in their lapel while writing books and running web sites and publishing magazines attacking dissenters as un-American. They are people whose ardor for war grows disproportionately to their distance from the fighting. They’re in the same league as those swarms of corporate lobbyists wearing flags and prowling Capitol Hill for tax breaks, even as they call for spending more on war.

”So I put this on as a modest riposte to men with flags in their lapels who shoot missiles from the safety of Washington think tanks. or argue that sacrifice is good as long as they don’t have to make it, or approve of bribing governments to join the ‘Coalition of the Willing.’ I put it on to remind myself that not every patriot thinks we should do to the people of Baghdad what bin Laden did to us. The flag belongs to the country, not to the government, and it reminds me that it’s not un-American to think that war, except in self defense, is a failure of moral imagination, political nerve and diplomacy. Come to think of it, standing up to your government can mean standing up for your country.”
Amen.

Actually, between Stein and Sciolla’s columns, I don’t know which disgusted me more, so the Inquirer definitely got people stirred up for no good reason – that should help their circulation and their bargaining position during the pending sale of Knight Ridder. Stein “poked a stick in the eye,” as it were, at the radical right, which is stupid to do because those people are perpetually angry anyway and don’t need any reminder to be that way. Sciolla’s column was an insult because of statements such as this:

I supported the removal of Saddam and the attempt at establishing democracy in the region. I had also come to see some kind of U.S. presence in that part of the world as an inevitability, whether now or 10 years from now, when - as we currently contemplate the meaning of a Hamas victory in Palestine - we can hardly imagine what the political landscape will be.
I’ll probably be repeating this until my dying day, but the Iraq War was NOT originally sold to us as a war to bring democracy to Iraq and get rid of Saddam Hussein because he was a mean, rotten guy. It was sold to us on the basis that Iraq had WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION that could be HANDED OFF TO AL QAEDA, A GROUP WITH WHICH HUSSEIN WAS ALLIED AS SUPPORTED BY DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE, and the weapons would be USED TO DESTROY US. When the fact that this explanation was utter crap was finally exposed, the war became one “to bring Democracy to Iraq.” I also categorically reject Sciolla’s assertion that our military presence in that region was inevitable, and I laugh and wince at the same time over the notion that our troops “could win the war.” I respect, admire, and – yes – support our troops, but the situation was unwinnable in a scenario actually worse than Vietnam because of the region’s strategic importance assigned to it by our greedhead dependency on fossil fuel.

(By the way, every time we have this stupid argument back and forth from either side about “supporting our troops,” Dubya, Karl Rove, and Frank Luntz laugh their asses off because it distracts us from the dialogue that we SHOULD be having about the war, as spurred on by courageous individuals like Cindy Sheehan and Rep. John Murtha.)

So, bravo Inquirer! You FINALLY hit on something in your Op-Ed page about blogging that is timely, interesting, and important.

Now, all you have to do is tell Kevin Ferris to “hit the bricks” once and for all to truly make my day.

Update 2/1: Oh, so now "supporting the troops" isn't a good thing? Is it because that slogan (which CNN now considers to be "anti-war") doesn't support Bushco's PR purposes any more?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you mr. doomsy for the prominence on your site. however, i did not ridicule mr. stein. i defended him, sincerely. if you had read the column thoroughly and not been turned inside out by my politics, you would have seen that. what is interesting is the feedback i have received. none of it speaks to the argument, which was whether mr. stein had a valid point. it was all, once again, anti-war rebutttal. but in actuality, i defended joel stein because i think he said what many people are afraid to say because a) they fear being tagged as unpatriotic and b) because of the legacy of Vietnam. i'm glad you find my foreign policy assessment galling, however. that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....and please do not refer to me as "someone named Angelina Sciolla..." as if I have never written an article before. I make my living as a writer - not on blogs - but with actual publications and businesses. I posted a comment to a blog three years ago around the time of the invasion of Iraq. that does not make me some "yapping" conservative blog-hound. I would say yours is probably the 3rd or 4th blog to which I've even posted. so consider yourself lucky. i hope my arrogance has matched what you suggest it is in your long diatribe about my column.

Anonymous said...

"Besides, I’ve done a bit of poking around regarding Sciolla, and she’s been mentioned prominently at the leading “freeper” sites like Free Republic, so, as far as I’m concerned, she’s a yapping attack dog anyway..."

Mr. Doomsy: I don't post to blogs so I doubt your above statement has much weight. I posted once to a site in 2003 and then once again in 2004. That is hardly prominence. I do, however, write for a number of publications that are not "blogs" and I do not write on politics. So identifying me dismissively as "someone named Angelina Sciolla" and then claiming that I am all over the conservative blogospher is both a contradiction and a misstatement. Secondly I would check my reading comprehension skills. I DID NOT ridicule Mr. Stein. I supported him. That is precisely why my piece was published. It is precisely why the editor snapped it up so quickly - because of the irony involved. I didn't ridicule him nor was I an "attack dog." Respect and admiration aside, I was making a critical argument over what "support" actually means in the public vernacular as it pertains to this conflict. And if galled by my assertion that the US would have ended up having a military presence in that part of the world anyway, hold that thought. I did not make that statement on political grounds. I made it on historical grounds...and based on observation of events and a projection of what may come to be based on history. That is not insulting, that is merely academic. I did relish the fact, however, that you found it galling. I'm flattered. You should be flattered as well. This is now only the 4th blog to which I have posted. Thank you for giving my work such prominance.


Yours in arrogance and vanity,
Angelina Sciolla

doomsy said...

Dear Ms. Sciolla,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. I will attempt to address your comments (please allow me an interval to recover from the immense sensation of flattery I have experienced that you have deigned to impart your wisdom to a shameless left-wing lackey such as myself, thereby affording me such “prominance”).

If I was unkind in categorizing you as “a yapping attack dog,” I apologize. However, such phrasing in your column as cracking “the granite of fainthearted dissent” regarding the Iraq War, as well as this notion that somehow our service people are sentenced to remain in the Iraq quagmire until “they win,” as well as the fact that our presence there is “historically inevitable,” all rang out as if it were approved directly from Frank Luntz (the chief Repug propagandist) himself. As I noted, I also found a link to one of your past columns on “Free Republic.” Guilt by association? Maybe. However, if I were to see anything I wrote posted on their site (a remote possibility, I admit), I would be the first to complain about it. I also noted that you have, quite literally, provided support (based on the Inquirer bio) to our troops at Walter Reed Army Hospital, and I said that was commendable, which it is. I thought that was a curious omission in both of your comments.

Also, thank you for pointing out that somehow my “reading comprehension skills” may be lacking. This is no doubt owning to the fact that, in my search for posting topics, I frequently have to wade through content from individuals such as yourself, and it’s possible that somehow my brain has become addled from having to read an excessive amount of partisan tripe.

After leading with that insult, you then tell me that you didn’t ridicule Joel Stein, when you point out in your column that you “disagree with him” (which, by the way, is a direct quote). You describe Stein as having uttered “a cowardly statement,” and you say that he is “now reviled.” Irony aside, that’s a curious way to “support” someone indeed. Given that, I believe it’s possible that someone else in this communication requires an improvement in their “reading comprehension skills.”

You said that I didn’t “speak to the argument” of whether or not Joel Stein had a valid point. As I attempted to communicate, I believe that he did in part. However, I was put off by his insulting and ridiculous sarcasm (yes, I’m prone to that at times, but I wouldn’t characterize a troop assignment in Kosovo to prevent ethnic genocide as “getting lucky”…I’m sure someone who served in that theater would take issue with a statement like that). He also states that, “An army of people making individual moral choices may be inefficient, but an army of people ignoring their morality is horrifying.” Horrifying to who? Him? Our troops in Iraq are ALREADY in a horrifying situation! And then Stein, in what I believe is a moment of cowardice, states that “he doesn’t want to see our troops spat upon again, as they were when they returned from Vietnam,” when he has already provided the rationale for some ignorant people to perform an action like that (re: the horror of troops “ignoring their morality”).

He also compares people who were “tricked” into fighting in Iraq (a statement I agree with) with the inconvenience he experiences when having to click through a pop-up ad on the computer. That is such a childish statement that I don’t believe it is even worthy of a response. He does redeem himself a bit at the end, though, by correctly stating that what our troops really need are “hospitals, pensions, mental-health care, and a safe, immediate return.”

So you see, Ms. Sciolla, I agreed with parts of what Stein said, as well as with what you said as well, actually, about the fact that the Bush Administration has “squandered an historic opportunity to inspire and engage the civilians of this country in a campaign of service and duty during these uneasy times.” I believe that my reaction was appropriate, given some of the “hot-button” rhetoric employed by both you and Joel Stein in your original columns.

One more note: I should point out that, due to some past experience on this site, I am going to limit comments to one per person per post. As I’ve admitted before, I don’t typically get a lot, but I have neither the time nor the desire to engage in a long “thread” with someone. Thank you again for your self-proclaimed “arrogance and vanity,” and if unfortunate consequences befall anyone you know as a byproduct of Dubya’s war for blood and oil in Iraq (and it is my fervent wish that that is not the case), then feel free to shed your tears and seek comfort somewhere else.

doomsy said...

Dear "Anonymous" (presumably Angelina Sciolla again),

I just received a notification of your most recent comment on March 22nd. So "somebody" notified you, huh?

Leading off with calling me a name is not a very adult way to act; apparently, it is necessary for me to point that out. How sad. That automatically earned your comment a place in the delete file.

"Stein agreed with you in reverse?" Let's cut out the nuanced literary gymnastics and actually try to address what I'm talking about, OK? No, better yet...don't bother. I already pointed out that I have no intention of getting into a long thread with you over this (this will ABSOLUTELY be the last comment I will allow on this).

Apparently you and Stein are both peas in an uninformed, sarcastic pod. Good for you. Both of you should actually try to do something constructive next time (maybe a trip to Kosovo, since that's where you go to "get lucky," apparently).