Friday, September 16, 2005

Always With The Looting



I have a question.

Am I the only one who is sick of hearing about the lawlessness that broke out in New Orleans as a result of the Katrina disaster? Is it possible to add some realistic context to this story, maybe even with a few anecdotes about how people worked together to save each other from the water, provide food and/or shelter, assist the National Guard with search and rescue operations…you know, boring stuff aside from the death and mayhem that our dear MSM cousins generally love to stick in our faces?

The implied racism couldn’t be more obvious to me. Let’s just say, for example, that Katrina had hit Newport, Rhode Island instead of the Gulf Coast. Somehow, I think there would be a lot more stories along the lines of “people braving the elements” and doing the generally heroic stuff that I mentioned in the first paragraph, along with the other “knew it was coming for years and living in dread but trying to be prepared” themes that we are generally fed from the news media when a natural disaster hits (I guarantee you that Wolf Blitzer wouldn’t condescendingly refer to the victims as “so poor and so white”). I can also guarantee you that nobody would have to wait FIVE DAYS for FEMA to confirm that people were dying and the entire town was being washed away.

I’m Caucasian, but I can definitely understand why African Americans are furious about this.

No comments: