Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Wednesday Stuff


Farron Cousins tells us here that it looks like still another witness has told U.S. House idiots James Comer and Jim Jordan that they can’t link President Biden and Hunter to some alleged Burisma bribe/influence peddling/OH FREAKING GOD ARE WE ACTUALLY DOING THIS AGAIN??!!...and yeah, the fact that these ridiculous hearings are all happening behind closed doors is more than a bit of a “tell” (and their star witness already said to the Senate that this was a nothing burger as Cousins informs us)...



...and speaking of U.S. House Republican idiocy, Jesse Dollemore lets us know here that the “party of Lincoln” has (on the second try) impeached DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas for...what? Trying to resolve the border issue with no help? You know, the matter that the “R” party wants to leave alone so Bronzer Beelzebub can actually have something to crow about when he tries to seize the White House once more later this year? I mean, when he isn’t throwing ketchup against a wall at McDonald’s and leaving intelligence docs lying near his gold commode at Mar-a-Lago (and of course, Marjorie Train Wreck Greene is right in the middle of this...and yeah, congrats to Dem Tom Suozzi for winning the U.S. House NY seat that was previously occupied by “George Santos”).

And one of the people responsible is this guy, who voted to impeach Mayorkas twice. And to do something about Bri-Fi, click here...



...and with regard to the presidential contest, I know it’s taken me a couple of days to get around to this, but I tried watching other videos with commentary about Jon Stewart’s return to The Daily Show, but I finally said, the hell with it, Doomsy...watch the damn video of Stewart yourself (I try not to refer to myself in the third person, by the way).

And I kept waiting to be outraged by what Stewart had to say. And I kept waiting.

And I kept waiting...

Oh, we’re not supposed to criticize Biden when he makes occasional slipups? Really? And we’re supposed to just bite our lip and not say anything about that idiotic Tik Tok video (Mama Kelce’s chocolate chip cookies?)? Or when Biden acts like he’s unable to do anything about Netanyahu’s butchery in Gaza (and just how the hell is THAT going to get Israeli hostages returned...and no, I’m definitely not letting Hamas off the hook either).

It’s not Stewart’s job to give public figures a pass if he thinks what he has to say will hurt people’s feelings; I trust his judgment enough to keep his remarks balanced. And I believe he did that in his segment. By contrast, I’ve given up on Bill Maher because any notion of balance with him went out the window awhile ago. My take, for what it’s worth, is that it’s now more important for him to suck up to his conservative pals and ridicule libs whenever he can than to give a fair hearing to all sides of the political spectrum.

Maybe this is “apples and oranges,” but I’m going to say it anyway. I hope we haven’t forgotten what Stewart has done to ensure health care for the 9/11 first responders (under the Zadroga bill, named for James Zadroga...his father Joseph was killed recently in an accident in a hospital parking lot). That doesn’t have anything directly to do with Stewart’s segment I know, but that’s more than I and a lot of other people have done for that heroic cause (and I thought that informed Stewart’s truly commendable words at the end of his segment...and I haven’t heard anybody say a damn thing about THAT).

So, without any more ado, here is the Stewart piece...



...and in a matter more directly germane to the U.S. economy, Robert Reich brings us information on the Dickensian minimum wage in this country of $2.13 an hour for tipped workers, which dates back to 1991 (and kudos to Saru Jayaraman for trying to fix that)...



....and Beau gives us some inside info on Egypt’s decision (maybe?) to rescind its peace treaty with Israel based on that country’s expansion of hostilities into Rafah...it’s true that this isn’t a positive development, but it doesn’t necessarily mean war between the two countries either, thank God (and by the ICJ, Beau means this)...



...and with all of the struggle and suffering in the world, maybe I’m just being a pointy-headed lib to include this tune, but I’m doing it anyway for Valentine’s Day...hope it’s a good one for all.

No comments: