Sunday, November 06, 2022

Sunday Stuff

John of TYT tells us that billionaires spent nearly $900 million in this midterm election cycle up to 9/30; once more, Citizens United is “the gift that keeps on giving”...with Cenk and Mark Thompson...and yeah, I think Cenk has a good point about corporate media reporters, but he goes around the bend a bit when he says that those reporters are as crazed as the MAGA nutjobs...that bar chart at about 10:00 tells the story...



...and speaking of corporate media, Anderson Cooper brings us this CNN clip on a fired pastor of a Baptist church in Virginia who spoke out against the Gropenfuhrer (and it's not exactly a "news flash" to point out the fact that the Evangelicals are essentially Republican party sheep).

And by the way, I just want to say this with respect to Pastor Kopp. Like many of you I’m sure, I work and live with more than a few conservatives who are good neighbors and (I’m sure) work hard in their jobs and support their families and friends as best they can (in more than a few cases, I strongly suspect that these people are conservative, but I just don’t “go there” in an effort to keep everything on good terms – I know enough to know that they will NEVER support a Democrat under any circumstances, so I try not to engage with them politically. However, if they seek me out on that subject...well then, I’ll defend myself and my positions as best I can).

If these people choose to support Trump and ANY Republican...well, I think they’re catastrophically wrong, but I don’t have the right to say that they’re bad people. However, if they’re one of these MAGA lunatics who threaten violence of any kind against me, my family or friends, or threaten harm against us in any way at all, then yeah, they’re bad people and should be called out accordingly, but only then.

I know it’s a tricky balancing act to get this exactly right, but even though Pastor Kopp should get credit for identifying the true threat to this country, I think he went a little farther than he should have. That being said, we need a hell of a lot more Pastor Kopp’s in this country...



...also (and sticking with the media), I was trying to find something on Cheri Beasley running against Ted Budd for a U.S. Senate seat in North Carolina (seat opened by the retirement of Repug Richard Burr), and I came up with this NC local news segment where Beasley claimed that Budd voted against 4 bills to fund North Carolina police, to the tune of $32 million in appropriations (Budd apparently said the bills cost too much money...typical).

So along comes this local news reporter or someone from Politifact or whatever, who basically says, “Well, Budd voted against the bills (actually, it was 5 bills, truth be told), but these were huge appropriations bills including funding for the Department of Justice who then awarded the funding for local police anyway, so we rate the claim as Mostly False.”

Are you f’ing kidding me? Gee, how much more of a Budd apologist can you be? Did he vote against the damn bills or didn’t he? Who cares if the cops got the funding some other way or not? Budd apparently voted no on the bills, which makes Beasley’s claim correct!

#localnewsfail



...continuing, Beau tells us about Repug U.S. House Rep Dan Crenshaw’s apparent moment of clarity, emphasizing that all of the perpetrators of The Big Lie are laughing their asses off at all of the gullible fools who’ve bought into it (Beau’s T-shirts always have apropos messages for his commentaries, but none more so than today)...



...and I know this clip from Rachel Maddow is a few days old starting with the news about Paul Pelosi’s surgery in response to the hammer attack he suffered (an update is here), but I wanted to make sure I included it before the vote...yeah, Trump Jr.’s underwear and hammer tweet was about what you could expect, as was the response from the just-as-execrable Charlie Kirk...and oh yeah, Kari Lake is just so damn funny, isn’t she (#trumpettetrash), but yeah, our choice is indeed between democracy or violent repression – no middle road (and more disgusting wingnut violence in our beloved commonwealth is noted here)...



...and I offer the following without comment.

No comments: