Friday, September 09, 2022

Friday Stuff


Mike Figueredo of the Humanist Report tells us about GOP candidates campaigning with their wives to try and get rid of the stench over their supporting Dobbs and fetal personhood, which of course means that you can criminally prosecute women and their health care providers...that is, if awful legislation and/or court rulings related to women’s bodily autonomy were to allow that (NSFW/H)...



...and with the prior clip in mind, Ana and Cenk of TYT tell us about Alabama jailing a bleeding pregnant woman for smoking pot while she carried, for which she ended up in an overcrowded jail cell for 3 months where she had to sleep on the floor...not admirable behavior I realize on the part of the would-be mom, but the draconian punishment definitely FAR outweighed the crime (and I thought Cenk made a great point – if she miscarried because of her detainment, then shouldn’t everyone responsible for her confinement be prosecuted for murder? I mean, hey, if you’re going to go after the pregnant woman with that threat hanging over her, then you should go after everybody)...



...and I think anyone who votes for a politician or a judge (hard to separate the two at times I realize) because they’re allegedly “pro-life” and for no other reason should be ridiculed as the Trump-supporting nitwits are who are roasted in this Lincoln Project clip (and apparently Our Ochre Abomination lost what’s left of his mind over it, which is definitely a bonus as far as I’m concerned)...



...and speaking of clueless Trumpsters, Farron Cousins tells us about Michigan Republicans who are suing and claiming the 2020 election results need to be overturned...yeah, we’ve got a real bunch of Darwin award nominees here, don’t we?...



...and I thought this was a typically interesting take from Beau on Cara Mund, a former Miss America running as an independent for North Dakota’s sole U.S. House seat...to her credit, Mund is pro-choice, which seems to be going over better in a red state than you might think...something about Mund was familiar to yours truly (not for any personal reason I hasten to add), and I realized that it was because of this post from a few years back...



...and David Doel gives us a fairly balanced perspective on the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth II...I think she quite rightly will be regarded as one of the truly towering historical figures of this century and the prior one for a lot of good reasons (some of which I noted yesterday), but if a lot of folks including her subjects (until recently) end up going “meh” over it, I can’t blame them...



...and here is another Second Thought video on How Capitalism Robs The Developing World...and why did I somehow know that United Fruit was involved in the exploitation of farmland in Cuba? In terms of the history of how capitalism has evolved, so to speak, this might be the best video he’s ever made...and the U.K. along with most of the industrialized world, including the U.S. of course, has profited from the ruinous practice of extracting from so-called undeveloped nations...I know I’m playing catch-up with his videos once more...



...and I also know we have a couple of weeks until the first day of fall, so I’ll try to squeeze in some more summer tunes, including this one.

No comments: