Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Wednesday Stuff


John I. and Jayar Jackson give us their take on last night’s Democratic candidates’ debate in South Carolina, which apparently was an utter train wreck…



...and uh - yep...

…and gee, maybe we ought to do something about this Coronavirus thing (which makes me recall this recent exchange - and how sadly predictable is this?)…



Update 2/27/20: This is humor of course, but with all due respect to Wonkette, I'm definitely not laughing over this, and I don't think they are either.

…and David Pakman gives us the typically wrongheaded take on our recent wild stock market ride from Charles Payne of Fix Noise (who, by the way, was also once responsible for this)…



…and I now give you the latest installment of “This Day In Doomsy History” from 2/26/10, in which the late, great Rep. Louise Slaughter of New York advocated for coverage for pre-existing conditions in the legislation that eventually became the Affordable Care Law – I think many of these same arguments still apply on the subject of Medicare for All…



…and while we're on the subject, I get it when Kyle lays into the Democratic “establishment” on policy the way he does here, in particular concerning Bernie Sanders and M4A, but I still think he needs to tone down that stuff a bit…yeah, being trapped in a ‘90s mindset is no good for now, but he shouldn’t gloss over recent Democratic accomplishments either…you could argue over “Obamacare,” but like you I’m sure, I remember the sausage-making to enact it and propaganda against it and what a battle that was…we should have no illusions of what we’re up against here…single payer and Medicare for All is the way to go, but it will be a pitched battle for some time, which will not be for the squeamish or faint at heart…



…and five years ago yesterday, on what would have been George Harrison's 72nd birthday, a new tree was planted in his memory in Griffith Park in Los Angeles to replace one that was earlier killed by a (wait for it…) “beetle” infestation (truly, you can’t make this up). The new yew tree had been chosen to replace the original, as it was far less susceptible to insects.

So, with that in mind, I now give you this, one of my all-time favorite music videos (a typical Harrison response to this, I would say).

No comments: