Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It Will Get Uglier Still

When I see the byline for Matt Stearns in a McClatchy story, I know I can expect a commercial of one type or another for the Republican Party, and he doesn’t disappoint here today.

And in the process, he quotes the following from conservative talk show host (and son of The Sainted Ronnie R) Michael Reagan…

…(Reagan) opposes Obama's liberal policies but despises the fact that some of his callers refer to Obama by his middle name.

"I truly believe when someone uses Barack Hussein Obama, that's their way of saying 'nigger.' That's their way of saying the N word, and it's copping out. ...
Well, there it is at last, ladies and gentlemen. In true “concern troll” fashion, as he tells us that he really means to vilify callers referring to Obama using uncomplimentary language, Reagan gives us the worst G-rated word imaginable to describe an African American.

“Copping out,” indeed....

But in a twisted way, I think we owe Reagan a debt of gratitude. He once more has demonstrated the power of hate and prejudice in our politics.

That, more than anything else, dictates how we vote (and never forget heaping doses of lizard-brained fear to go along with it).

And this is a lesson that I believe Gerri Ferraro learned long ago, and it also tells me that, given her departure from the Clinton campaign today at long last, she now has a bright future ahead of her in talk radio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not an american but have a question you said saying hussain is like saying nigger okay i trust you but , why on earth does obama never write hussien its like trying to bury the middle name , is he not happy wth that name ;

and why is it racist saying black or son on, when the black calls the white white or so on where they have many words , why is it not called as racist , arent the blacks racist ?

frankly the can make a good case against the white , and as he being black clinton faces a huge problem attacking him as she has to be very careful or else she shall be called racist , tomorrow ofphra shall shout racist it is a fact ,

some one says he has the attraction as he is a black and she was called racist , is that america , freedom of speech , but freedom to be careful while speaking against the blacks ,

frankly every blacks if they come with a little opposition will use out their racist card thats .........

doomsy said...

The person who said that saying Hussein is the same as the “n-word” (with him actually saying the word) was Michael Reagan, not me. My objection was that Reagan actually used the epithet in such a way as to say, “Hey, I didn’t say that, it was one of my callers,” as if somehow that lets him off the hook for using such a vile term.

And I understand that there would seem to be a double standard in that whites shouldn’t say some things about blacks, but blacks seemingly can say other things about whites. But I’m sorry – I don’t know what the contemporary acceptable slang is against whites (“ofay,” “honky,” “cracker,” take your pick, with the last term and “redneck” implying more of a geographic preference), but if I were to be called any of that, I either wouldn’t care or would just explain to the person calling me that (if they were inclined to listen) that that’s not really an accurate description of me. I can’t see how any of the anti-white terms would be comparable to the “n-word,” partly because, though European immigrants were violently discriminated against at one time in this country, I don’t see a direct correlation to that and what African Americans went through when they were brought here (I emphasize, though, that that’s no excuse for “reparations”).

Are there a lot of African Americans shouting racism for any perceived slight no matter how trivial? Yes (and as Bill Cosby, among others, have explained, many African Americans need to “mend their own fences” first). However, there are also many African Americans shouting racism for valid reasons, and until someone explains to me how the former cases really outweighs the latter, I will continue to hold my opinion on that subject.