Friday, October 12, 2007

Friday Wrapup (10/12)

Time to clean out my “in” bin again…

  • Welcome Debbie Stafford (pictured - story appears here)…

    A state representative abruptly left the Republican Party and became a Democrat, the first time in 20 years that a Colorado lawmaker has switched parties.

    (Stafford), 55, who also is a minister, said the Republican Party no longer represents her values.

    “Ideally, I find myself a moderate and I think I would be best suited for a third party. However, the reality is that our political system is not designed for a third party voice to be strong,” Stafford said Thursday.

    She added: “I am not leaving the Republican Party as much as I believe the Republican Party left me,” she said.
    You have a lot of company.


  • Concerning this story about an anticipated surge in home heating costs…

    Surging crude oil prices are the primary, but not the only, culprit for the jump in fuel oil costs. This spring and summer, American refineries experienced an unusual number of unexpected maintenance outages. The net result was that fewer refineries were producing gasoline, heating oil and other petroleum products.
    I would tend to say that some of these maintenance outages have taken place because oil companies delayed refinery maintenance in order to increase production and maximize their post-Katrina profits (noted briefly in a July 22nd post from here).

    I remember how, in the aftermath of Katrina, the hurricane was blamed for all of the downturns in any economic activity whatsoever, as opposed to the staggering Republican deficits, shifting and consolidation of wealth, and Bushco’s advocacy of offshoring our jobs en masse. Katrina was always the reason. Katrina, Katrina, Katrina.

    Funny how it gets scant mention now all of a sudden, isn’t it?


  • Oh, and by the way, if you know someone who is a “NASCAR Repub- lican,” tell them the following from Democrat Bennie Thompson, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee (re: this story)…

    Responding in a letter Wednesday, Thompson wrote, "Since committee staff members are visiting hospital and other health-care facilities available at or near these venues, including areas where groups of people are detained before being transferred to other off-site facilities, I believe that the recommendation (not requirement) that our congressional staff receive these same immunizations (against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria, and influenza) was sound."
    The letter Thompson responded to was full of wingnut umbrage over the erroneous notion that Thompson wanted to immunize he and his staffers against anyone attending a NASCAR event, when in fact he wanted to make sure his people didn’t spread anything contagious towards these people, since some of these events draw crowd in excess of 100,000 and a virus could spread quickly.

    It’s a shame that there is no virus Thompson and his people can take to prevent themselves from succumbing to potentially infectious stupidity here, though they seem to be adult enough to survive any attempts at contamination from the life forms that stupidly played this for all of its demagogic worth.


  • Update 10/14: Gentlemen, start your stupidity; sorry, but I can't get too worked up over being chastised by a guy named "Humpy."

  • Finally, this letter appeared in the Bucks County Courier Times on Wednesday…

    In 2003 my father, John Steinbeiser, passed away. He was a WWII vet. I got a form from the local VA office for a grave plaque. When the marker was delivered, it was the wrong size.

    I called the office; they said they couldn’t help me. I then called the VA in Washington and was told that they could do nothing. I was told I could pay for a new marker; I then called Mike Fitzpatrick, our former congressman. I was assured he could take care of everything. A few weeks later I was told the congressman could do nothing, it was a “private matter” between the family and the VA.

    I recently contacted Congressman Patrick Murphy’s office. Within a few weeks I was contacted for additional information and informed that a new plaque would be delivered. I was called by the VA in Washington and they apologized for the mix-up and assured me that the matter had been resolved.

    Because of Murphy’s involvement, my father’s service record is now proudly displayed.

    Patricia Schell
    Morrisville, PA
    To help Patrick, click here.
  • No comments: